Latest soon-to-be sleever!

Atl_Gadget_Grrl but u
can call me Charlotte

on 5/10/13 1:31 pm, edited 5/10/13 1:35 pm
VSG on 06/12/13

Hi, all - 

I'm sort of a newbie here. I have just gained approval for surgery following a 5 month fight with my insurance company. I was all set for RNY, but that period of waiting allowed me think a bit. In the meantime, my second knee also went wonky on me and I may need to get that fixed sometime, too. So, I met with the surgeon today and we landed at the decision that a sleeve would be better for me in the long run.

During that (horrible) waiting period, I did do some lurking here, so I feel I know the basics. But, I will be here a lot more. Surgery is scheduled for 6/12, with Dr. Macik at Northside in Atlanta.

So tell me: are you loving your sleeves? Any regrets?

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

mickeymantle
on 5/10/13 3:28 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

sounds like a sleeve is a better fit for you with bad knees you will probably need nsaid pain killers , that you can't take with a rny but can with a sleeve

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

sarapilar
on 5/11/13 12:16 am
VSG on 02/21/13

YAY!!!  You made it!  Honestly, I am so, so glad you changed to the Sleeve.  Even though I have been having some complications with my Sleeve (a stricture), I still would chose the Sleeve over RNY any day.  Congrats on your victory!  Whhhaaaaa-hooooooooooooooo!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

LaceyKitN
on 5/12/13 4:21 am - Olympia, WA

Hi Sara--

Sorry to hijack this post.  I am somebody that is doing serious research and getting ready to do revision surgery to remove the band and get a sleeve.

Can you tell me what a stricture is and how it was diagnosed?

Thank you!

Michelle
Washington State

sarapilar
on 5/12/13 11:00 am, edited 5/12/13 11:01 am
VSG on 02/21/13

It is diagnosed by doing an Upper GI Xray, Barium Swallow.  Carmelita has a great post about stricture, if you could use the search function. It is a narrowing somewhere along the sleeve, causing vomiting and sever nausea.

It happens to 4 - 6 % of the Sleeve population.

Good luck!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views