Hello everyone ! im new here..

Lusianny15
on 5/9/13 9:42 am

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lusianny and I am considering having the sleeve gastrectomy done. Scared about having complications short and long term after surgery. My family isn't really happy about my decision. jUST WANTED TO SEE IF i COULD GET SOME HELP FROM ALL THE SLEEVERS HERE  

AmberL
on 5/9/13 12:23 pm

Hi, I am fairly new here too.  I just had the sleeve surgery on Tuesday.  I didn't have any complications.  Everyone at the hospital assured me that they do this every day and I had nothing to worry about!  I don't have that excitement yet that I did it that you hear from some posters, but I'm hoping that will come as the pain goes away and as I can progress into eating normal foods.  I get to start protein shakes tomorrow so I think that will help too.

Calking
on 5/9/13 2:15 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Welcome.  I think that you simply need to put things into perspective.  You mentioned that you are nervous about having complications short and long term after surgery.  I suggest to you that without surgery your obesity will cause short and long term complications.  So you have a guarantee that if you do nothing your health is not going to get any better and you will live a shorter life likely ending with some sort of heart attack or disease.  Back to the surgery.  Some people have minor setbacks post op but they all have overcome it and are appreciative of this surgery and would do it all over again.  

Try another post.  Write down something like ... For all of you that had some complications post op, knowing now what you do, would you do it all over again?  I am willing to bet that the overwhelming response is yep.  I personally cannot answer that question as I had no issues and nothing but smooth sailing for the whole experience and I am 1 year post op at this point.  Sure there have been times when I eat a little too much or too fast and I feel uncomfortable for awhile.  But the feeling passes and I go on.  Overall it took me a tad more than 5 months to loose 95 pounds.  I no longer take meds for blood pressure, diabetes, or high cholesterol and haven't since 1 week pre op.  Imagine that going into  a surgery with all those meds and I was taking two separate meds for bp and two separate meds for diabetes.  Even with those two meds I wasn't under full control of my numbers.  Post op not one med and my numbers are normal.  

Pre op I was going for a very unhealthy life with neuropathy and heart issues and sure to die a slow death shaving years off of my life.  Now again ... I ask you ... aren't you more afraid of the complications short and long term if you don't have the surgery?

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Lusianny15
on 5/10/13 6:41 am
great perspective there! I've heard so many horror stories on the internet, like blood clots etc. but the chances of that are so low. I'm 110 pounds overweight, and i'm only 21 years old.. so i'm really looking forward to getting approved from my insurance and going on with the surgery. Glad to hear everything is going great for you and with so many other people on here. Thanks for the support !
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/13 4:50 pm

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to take charge of your obesity and get healthy!!!! I can't really address your concerns because I'm one of those that hasn't had an issue - not one - since surgery. Sure, I've had a little bit of discomfort from not knowing when to stop eating early out, but that's about it! I would not change my decision. One of the very best things I have ever done for my health - this and quit smoking!

What specifically are your concerns? You might get some good responses if folks know exactly what you are wanting to find out about the surgery and complications.

Again, welcome!

Lusianny15
on 5/10/13 6:48 am
Thanks and congrats to you on your accomplishments! I was more concerned about vitamin deficiencies long term and like blood clots during the surgery.
Sleeveless
on 5/9/13 6:08 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Welcome, and please read and ask as many questions as you need to here. I learned so much here, even more than from my surgeon's office.

I am almost six months out, and have had a very good experience. Having a sleeve is a big adjustment, and early on I wondered what I had gone and done to myself. But, that feeling passed and overall I'm very glad I got the sleeve. And, my weight loss and good recovery have encouraged a good friend and my brother to do this for themselves. They are now following up on getting their sleeves.

Best of luck to you. Do your research and it will start becoming clear whether or not you should do this.

jacreasy
on 5/9/13 10:45 pm
VSG on 04/23/12

Welcome!

I was once new here too, ask all the question you want, no question is dumb... I learned a lot from OH

See ya on the Loser Bench! angry

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Lusianny15
on 5/10/13 6:44 am
Thanks for all the support guys ! I'm glad to be on this website and being able to talk to so many people who have gone through with it or are on the same position I am. I really appreciate it !
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views