Diagnosed with Gastritis - maybe it was not a stricture afterall

sarapilar
on 5/15/13 9:15 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Today, after my 2nd endoscopy, I have been diagnosed with gastritis.  Gastritis is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach, where lots of white blood cells start to form and it looks very, very raw, red and irritated. Last month, gastritis was not present in my new Sleeve, during my first endoscopy, which was to look for a stricture (narrowing).

I don't know what came first - all the vomiting and nausea, then the gastritis, or the gastritis was the source and cause of my vomiting and nausea?  The GI doc no longer thinks I have  - or had - a stricture.  He think I never even had one, even though the Upper GI Barium Swallow revealed that I did have a stricture.  I have photos of my actual Sleeve from today's procedure, and I don't see any narrowing either.  The GI doc did the balloon dilation anyway, because I so desperately wanted it.

I read online that sometimes gastritis can occur in those who have had weight loss surgery "resulting in the banding or reconstruction of the digestive tract".  Yup, that would be my Sleeve!

I have to drink Carafate 3 times a day (prescription strength Mallox, used for ulcers).  Little nervous since I don;t want to ingest all that aluminum, a potential neurotoxin.  And, I've been advised to not take any vitamins by mouth for one month at least while this heals.  I may need to get vitamins through an IV drip, through my veins. 

I don't want this to develop into stomach cancer or anything like that, I am worried.

Has anyone else on here been officially diagnosed through an endoscopy with gastritis?  What was your experience?

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

linzeelee
on 5/15/13 9:31 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13
I'm glad you are getting some answers. I hope it clears up quickly and you feel better soon. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/13 10:10 am

Yes, but it was years ago before my sleeve. I had a pill that I took twice daily for months. Finally got better, but it was absolutely miserable and HURT like a son of a gun while it lasted. Me, I still think it was my gallbladder, but the nasty PA was so prejudiced against obese people that she was convinced that it was only gastritis causing my issues.

Mom_2_4
on 5/15/13 11:30 am
VSG on 05/22/13

Sara,

I hope this heals and that this is the end of all your troubles.. So sorry you had to go through all this!

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

shannon11
on 5/15/13 11:36 am

I hope you feel better soon!  Hang in there...

GreenisLove
on 5/15/13 11:52 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

I having similiar problems since i've started the 1200 calorie diet to lose weight for the surgery. Im still pre op, but the doctors cant figure out whats going on with my stomach, even after ultra sounds, endoscopys, blood work. They're just calling it stomach acid, (possibly GERD) and have given me Prilosec because pepcid wasnt working. I know the pain, and it is NOT fun. Hope you start feeling better soon.

VSG on 06/12/13
Wow, that is a big deal. I hope you are back on the mend soon! Still up to hitting the vendor fair tomorrow?

I will be curious to see what causes this and hear others' responses.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

sarapilar
on 5/15/13 11:54 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

Yes, still meeting you in the Chick fil la parking lot!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

ready2sleeve
on 5/15/13 1:12 pm - CA

Hi Sara,

I hope you feel better with my first six weeks of the sleeve I experienced severe nausea and vomiting, I could not even keep water down. I was in and out of the hospital and given everything to clear up the symptoms, nothing worked. I was finally admitted and had an endoscopy and it was confirmed I had gastritis. I had a picc line placed and had a feeding tube for two weeks. The only thing I could have was some ice chips. After the picc line was removed I never experienced another issue with nausea or vomiting.

It gets better sometimes the stomach just needs to rest. Get well soon

Carla

Pre-op: 320, SW: 298, CW 194,  Doctors goal 180,  My GW 160   
pineview01
on 5/15/13 2:17 pm - Davison, MI

My endoscopy showed I had gastritis when I was banded a year.  They didn't put me on any meds, I just had to leave the band unfilled for 6 week.  They never checked to see if it was healed, just refilled me after 6 week.  At 2 years they had to totally unfill me for the same reason for 8 weeks.  It never got any better for me untill the band was totally unfilled and than removed.

I was told the gastritis was caused from the vomiting the band caused.

I'm so glad to hear you don't have a stricture and that they have you on meds.  Our center puts all sleeve patients on Carafate 4 times a day at time of banding.  It was hard to get all the drinking in when I couldn't eat or drink for an hour before and 2/3 hours after taking it four time as day.  But, I am so glad they put us on it after hearing what you have had to go thru.  Hopefully you are on the road to a speedy recovery now.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views