When does staple line leak risk diminsh/go away?

islandgirl_67
on 5/17/13 12:37 pm - Canada

I'm newly sleeved,  two weeks ago, I'm doing great, feel well, and tolerating blenderized foods :)    I do get the occasional pain/soreness in my left shoulder, but it's very minor and from what I understand,  par for the course.

My biggest apprehension about having the VSG was the risk of leaks along the staple line.  I'm happy to have made it to safely to the two week mark with no sign of a leak, yay!   And I'm keeping a positive mental attitude and working very hard to not let the possibility of a leak worry and stress me.

But I would really like to know what the "safe zone" is?   Safe zone meaning the time frame past surgery where if you did not have a leak complication - you are likely not to have one.  Three weeks?  One month? Longer?  Does anyone know with any certainty what that time frame is ... it would sure help me continue to relax and not worry about this possible risk factor. 

Cheers!

Cindy

AmberL
on 5/17/13 12:46 pm

I asked my surgeon that question and he said the first 4 weeks are when we have the possibility of a leak, and the easiest way to get one is to eat foods that you are not ready for yet.

islandgirl_67
on 5/17/13 1:01 pm - Canada

Thanks Amber! That's exactly the info I was after.   

AmberL
on 5/17/13 1:24 pm

Your welcome!  I'm right behind you at one week 2 days post op, so I'm looking forward to getting out of the danger zone too!

3rbwsmom
on 5/17/13 9:25 pm

Thanks girls for asking and answering the question. I was curious about the same things. I was sleeved on the 14th and want to make sure I do everything right. I do have one quick question, today is day 4 for me and I woke up starving, is that normal? I have only been eating about 4-6 tbs of food every hour/hour and half, so I havent really had much, but now I am hungry. I just want to make sure this is normal and also ask if you know how much I should be eating every hour? About 4oz? Or what, gosh , I'm so confused, and don't want to mess up. 

Deckeriv
on 5/17/13 9:52 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

The hunger you are feeling, even though your mind remembers the sensation as 'hunger', it's more than likely acid. If you are feeling the need to eat as soon as your stomach is empty, you are feeling the acid in your new tummy. The nerves are really confused and your brain is confused.

Take a PPI and drink water. The hunger sensation will go away. You don't really have hunger in the traditional sense of the word since you aren't generating any ghrelin.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

VSG on 06/12/13
Excellent post - gave me a "wow, really?" moment. Good to know!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

3rbwsmom
on 5/17/13 11:40 pm
Ok this may be a dumb question but what is PPI?
islandgirl_67
on 5/18/13 1:22 am, edited 5/18/13 1:24 am - Canada

Hi 3rbwsmom!

PPI is an acronym for Proton Pump Inhibitor.  It's a medication that shuts down acid production in your stomach.  Most surgeons will send you home on this mediation.  Some have to stay on it for a month or two post-op, some for life, and some take only as needed after the first 1-2 months.

I'm two weeks out and I wake up hungry every now and then as well.  It didn't happen as early out as it has for you,  but just started in the past few days.  I'm not sure of the cause,  I guess it could be stomach acid, but I have been faithfully taking my PPI since day one. I do find water helps.  I guess because I take my PPI once every 24 hours, and I always take it first thing in the am, my stomach acid could be ramping back up by the next morning, before I take my next pill, after that length of time.

My surgeon explained ghrelin is not totally absent, but greatly reduced.  As it is a hormone produced in your stomach, with 75 to 85 percent of it gone, ghrelin production is reduced proportionately.  I still experience a form of hunger when it has been hours between meals,  it's not gone altogether for me.  But it is very mild, and very different from the ravenous sensation I get the odd morning upon waking up that you describe.

As far as eating,  I just moved to pureed two days ago,  I was not allowed anything but full liquids for two weeks.  Now that i am eating pureed - I am supposed to have 2-3 oz or about 1/4 cup 5 times per day.  Reflecting upon the consistency, it's hard to call it food for me , LoL.

Hope you are doing well otherwise, 

Take Good Care,

Cindy

DanielleP
on 5/18/13 2:33 am - Philadelphia, PA
VSG on 04/29/13

My surgeon didn't put me on a PPI and everyone I know personally who had the sleeve is surprised. I am having problems with acid and the office just told me to take a lot of tums. Is Tums a PPI? It's barely effective. How can I convince them to give me one? Are PPIs over the counter?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views