I want a beer!

Rms928
on 5/18/13 10:46 am
VSG on 03/20/13

Unfortunately an old biker friend passed away and today we attended his funeral. Being a biker funeral we all paid our respects by riding to it and then promptly went to a local tavern to toast our fallen friend. He was a young man of only 48 years and died of a heart attack. It makes me appreciate my surgery even more knowing that I am taking steps to improve my health. 

This was my first time in a bar since January when I last had a drink in preparation of my surgery.  Even though the beer was flowing, I didn't succumb to the temptation and happily drank my unsweetened iced tea. I did have a few handfuls of popcorn and balsamic vinaigrette on my salad. But wow, I really missed having a beer.  I'm two months post op I never thought the thing I would miss most was a cold beer. Although I always enjoyed having a beer with friends or having one with pizza, I wouldn't consider myself a beer drinker. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not a teetotaler. I enjoy a drink every now and then.   

You can put any sweet in front of me or even a bag of my favorite snack - Cheese Doodles and it wouldn't faze me now - but a beer?  I want one!   Isn't it funny how the mind and body work?  Foods I used to like I really don't think about too much and something like a cold beer is driving me nuts. Go figure.  

Maybe some day when I'm in maintenance I can have that beer. For now, I'll stick to the plan. I still have a ways to go til goal. 

M1-10 M2-31.4 M3-11 M4-16.8 M5-15 M6-10 M7-14 M8-9

71dart
on 5/18/13 11:14 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
A few month down the road... when you're on a poker run, go into the first bar and order a Merlot. Bikers think that's refined.

acbbrown
on 5/18/13 11:22 am - Granada Hills, CA

Emotional situation - that might have something to do with your desire to have a beer? Just pay attention to the triggers of these "cravings" - you might see a trend. 

Wait as long as possible for introducing the empty calories....trust me, you'll appreciate it a couple years down the road. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

lunarose
on 5/18/13 2:41 pm - Newhall, CA

My surgeon said no alcohol for the first year with a preference of never. Once you are in maintenance and or a year has passed you can have one. That said be very careful because after the sleeve you can drunk very quickly. The rapid high is why a lot of people after WLS develop drinking problems. Carbonation and the sleeve don't get along all that well makes me belch and feel uncomfoirtable.

SophieNJ
on 5/18/13 10:53 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I'm so sorry for your loss....way too young.  But congrats on handling things in a healthy way.  you did right by yourself, and it honored your friend.

sophie

Kristin B.
on 5/19/13 8:46 am - West Des Moines, IA
VSG on 05/17/08 with

Sorry for your loss- I am 5 years out and can have an occasional Guinness- or other low carbonation beer- but I plan into my calories count.

Fortune sides with he who dares. ~ Virgil  
Unsolicited PMs about doctors, procedures, or facilities should be given as much consideration as spam offering foreign lottery winnings, penis- enlarging creams, and Nigerian fortunes.
slatond
on 5/20/13 12:55 am

Like you... I went to a training out of town for work and a group of us went to The Liberty Tap. Everyone was drinking a beer and I wanted one SO SO SO bad. I didn't succumb but had water and my salmon salad then walked back to the hotel ( abt 5 blocks).

But it haunted me for several days. I rarely drank pre sleeve so shocked the trigger that beer had post sleeve.

So proud of you for your healthy choice!!! WAY TO GO!

sleevegirl
on 5/20/13 1:02 am - Austin, TX

I used to love a good beer a few times per year pre-op. Now, it's completely out for me. The carbonation HURTS my stomach. Even nearly 2 years out, I accidently sip my kids soda now and then and HOLY CRAP. Not worth it.

But yeah... I do miss beer in certain situations. It's worth the 223 pound loss though :)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 238 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views