IRON?????

Cherdra
on 5/20/13 12:47 pm - Pickering, Canada

I was told my iron level after surgery was 2, at my 3 month check up it was 4, and now after my 6 month visit it is at 6. Someone told me it should be in the 50-70 range?. I have no energy at all and sleep a lot. And at times I feel dizzy. Can anyone tell me if my iron being at 6 is normal and ok, if not what I should be doing, the only thing I was told by the hospital nurse, is to take 2 iron pills with vitamin C now, instead of the 1 iron pill I was taking previously.

Thanks so much!!!!!

Manderley
on 5/20/13 12:54 pm - New Port Richey, FL

whoever ordered the bloodwork for you will get the results sent to them. if your results are abnormal, you should get a call from the doctor's office. who "told" you what your iron levels were? you should ask for a copy of the bloodwork yourself. if anything is outside of the normal range, it will be noted on the results, by an asterisk or highlighted color or something. don't go by someone telling you this and someone telling you that. if you're concerned, call the doctor's office yourself and say you want to discuss your recent lab results. 

HW: 402, Nov 2012, down 89 lbs.      VSG 6/18/13 

acbbrown
on 5/20/13 1:02 pm - Granada Hills, CA

What is your ferritin level?

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

dot4you
on 5/20/13 1:04 pm - CA

hI, I'm sorry to hear your iron is low...Your doctor can explain all the numbers better than anyone can.Your numbers are coming up but it could take a long time to be back to normal.... I just had treatment for the same thing. I had low iron for 1- 1/2 yrs & NO energy. It was horrible.

My doctor gave me iron infusions....5 treaments everyother day. I had to go in for and I.V. that took about 10minutes to do....within 2 weeks I felt my energy increas, after 6 weeks I was back to myself. I had no idea how bad I really was until I got my energy back. My doctor said iron pills were like a drop of water in the ocean for what I needed. I'm so glad I did the infusions.

Read more about VSG & low iron...I was really bad about taking my vitamins & eating all my protein.

There is no need for you to suffer with low iron. I'd push for help with this. Diet and iron pills could take a very long time to work.

Talk to your doctor & see what's best for you....

mickeymantle
on 5/20/13 3:53 pm, edited 5/20/13 3:53 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

also my hubby was told by his hematologist  when he had low iron that it could be caused by his ppi , he stopped taking it and his iron was back to normal in 1 month, (he did not have wls)

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 465 views