DEPRESSION!!

newjourny47
on 5/27/13 8:12 am - ID

Im 2wks post op and feeling an overwhelming depession. Anyone else have this problem? Also I started a period and hadent had one in about a year and the flow is super heavy.and to top it off I gained a pound so I only officially lost 13 pounds since surgery!! and Im on pureed foods until 2 weeks barely eating anything.whats going on with me? very frusterated..HELP...  

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/13 9:36 am - Lower Burrell, PA

I'm two weeks post op today. I am also crying all the time. I can't stand it. But i guess its normal to go through this. I thought it would get better after i saw the doc but like you I have only lost 14 lbs in 14 days  which SHOULD make me happy but what did i do, i cried cuz also like you i gained a pound and then stopped loosing for three days then I lost two more pounds in two days then bam I havent lost weight in two days. Its a roller coaster ride. I refuse to weigh myself for two more weeks, hopefully i will have lost something by then

Yocie
on 5/27/13 9:49 am
VSG on 11/06/12

Going through this puts your hormones completely out of whack and it's normal to be emotional and hormonal. I too had gone a long time without a period and after surgery I had one for about a month. It will get better, and 13 lbs in 2 weeks is a good wt. loss, try to be patient.

jnicole79
on 5/27/13 9:58 am - IL
VSG on 05/10/13
I'm super down and moody. I'm 17 days out. I started my period before surgery and it hasn't stopped. This feeling sucks!
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/13 10:32 am

I understand how you feel. I am only 7 days out and started my period the day after surgery. Today we had a BBQ with friends and family and when it was time to eat I just had to go to my room and take a nap to avoid wanting to eat. I still have another week of clear fluids diet so that sucks.  Theres days I think to myself why did I do this, I love food, I don't care about being fat! BUT and I mean a big BUT, I want to be healthy. I want to live a healthy life with my kids. I NEVER want to be that mom that cant fit on a ride with them, I never want to have them have to take care of me because I ate myself to sickness. That keeps me strong in mind and then I just get busy doing something to avoid thinking about food. It might not be the best help but its all I have. I wish you luck.

ababenoit
on 5/27/13 10:42 am - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
Its a stage we all go through because of rapid weight loss.... Its horrible... Butt promise it gets better!

Lisa2630
on 5/27/13 10:54 am
On May 27, 2013 at 3:12 PM Pacific Time, newjourny47 wrote:

Im 2wks post op and feeling an overwhelming depession. Anyone else have this problem? Also I started a period and hadent had one in about a year and the flow is super heavy.and to top it off I gained a pound so I only officially lost 13 pounds since surgery!! and Im on pureed foods until 2 weeks barely eating anything.whats going on with me? very frusterated..HELP...  

Part of the issue is the ghrelin gland that makes you feel hungry prior to surgery is removed. However, ghrelin is a hormone so it creates a little havoc with many patients.  unexptected periods, depressions...etc.

The depression is because the iniital removalof ghrelin makes you feel great for a week up to a few months. . Then whenyou feel  "normal" it's a strange but you  feel let down.   Talk to your Doctor and don't let it continue more than a month.

Also, the WTF have I done feeling, is normal in the first week.  I'm only 10 days out and if someone hadn't flat out told me that in advance I would have thought I was losing it the first few days home.

newjourny47
on 5/27/13 1:08 pm - ID

Omg,thank God Im not the only one..I was starting to lose it. Thanks for all the input everyone, its such a BIG help. Im starting to see that this website is really going to be one of my closest friends. All the input and advice is definately going to keep me going. I know now that Im not alone..The best of luck to all of us on this journey to health.

Sleeveless
on 5/28/13 1:32 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

You are definitely not the only one! I had it bad, but like the other poster, I also promise it gets better. Hang in there!

Jackie T.
on 5/28/13 1:39 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

My emotions were all over the place in the first month and then I hit another funk at about the 4 -5 month mark.  Our bodies are going through a lot of changes and our hormones are too.

Hang in there!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views