Career Crossroads and the New Me

Ihearttennis
on 6/1/13 1:26 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I have always been proud to be a teacher and have taught every grade over the years from 2 year olds to 8th grade.  I know it is my calling and that I am good at it.  However, with the financial stress that comes with two teenagers in high school and one looking at pretty prestigious colleges, I decided to take a break from teaching next school year and pursue a different career path.  I  had surgery in April and feel like over the next few months I will be losing weight, feeling great and that this is the time to make a change.  The problem is, I don't have a clear vision of what this next chapter holds for me or even what type of " dream job" I would like to pursue.  I am confident I would enjoy an outside sales job, particularly one that had an education element to it, such as textbook publishing. And although I haven't really started to search actively for a job yet with school just ending, I have started to get offers from other schools just through word of mouth.  So my question is, do I take a leap of faith and try something new, or go the safe route and at least be guaranteed a job for next year? My husband is being supportive and says, "I know you will make the right decision" where my friends say with the job market being the way it is I should go for the sure thing because what I want may not be out there, especially without the experience in any other field.  I feel I am on this wonderful journey to a healthier, happier me, and I want to take this opportunity to try something new.  But, what if I don't find what I'm looking for and I end up hurting my family in the process?

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

VSG on 06/12/13
If you are financially in a spot that you can try this for a year to find a job and try it, why not? Especially if you can return to the possibility of teaching? I am all for the power of reinventing yourself - I trust you have done your homework, so if this is the right move at the right time, go for it!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

morgans
on 6/1/13 9:19 pm
VSG on 06/18/12

I concur with gadget grrl. I was financially able to take about 4 months off of working over the winter. I pondered if I wanted a complete career change, go back to school, etc. I ended up getting an AMAZING job in the field that I was in, but with everything I could have asked for. In the time between I relaxed, took care of myself, got a horse (then added 2 more), stayed off the computer a lot more. I was actually busier not working than I was working. LOL!

Too often we "play it safe" instead of taking a leap of faith and finding out what's on the other side when we get there. I have always in my life embraced change and risk because that's how we stretch and grow.

If you have the financial wherewithal go for it!

chanteuse1
on 6/1/13 9:27 pm - LA
VSG on 09/05/12

I took that leap of faith 9 years ago, when I left the classroom.  Still miss the kids and the colleagues, but my job is incredible, and I have no regrets.

I would add that a lot depends on your school district's practices relative to contracts, too.  I didn't give notice until pretty soon before school began again in the fall.  If you don't HAVE to give notice right away, or sign a contract right away, why don't you look around and see what's out there?  I am the cautious type, and would not have wanted to jeopardize my family's financial well-being in any way.  If you can give notice a bit later, hold off on that while you look.  Yes, I understand that professionally-speaking, you want to give the system as much time as possible to 'replace' you, but they will never take care of you as well as you take care of yourself!

Best of luck!

susieg.tx
on 6/1/13 11:22 pm - TX
VSG on 09/04/12 with
My life mantra is "Audentes Fortuna iuvat". Fortune favors the bold. I am not in education but in electrical engineering. It had served me well in my career.

Ihearttennis
on 6/2/13 9:43 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Thank you to everyone *****sponded.  I appreciate all of your advice.  I have been concerned about making this huge transition in my life, but I am really looking forward to what lies ahead. I just have to trust that  I will end up exactly where I am meant to be.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford