How did you decide on the Sleeve?

sarah_lil
on 6/3/13 1:46 am
VSG on 04/23/14

Hi!

I had my weight loss surgery consultation a couple of weeks ago and am getting started on all my paperwork for insurance.  My insurance will cover both the Lap Band and sleeve --I am really struggling with this decision.

I have about 85-100 pounds I would like to lose.

What made you decide on the sleeve vs. other types of weight loss surgery?  

Anything you wish you had known about the sleeve that you didn't know or realize until afterwards?  

What are the negatives if any?

Thanks!

Nikke2003
on 6/3/13 1:54 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Welcome and congrats on your decision to look into weight loss surgery!

For me, the band was never a possibility because I have/had a tremendous amount of weight to lose. Also, after doing a lot of research on these boards and on the internet... it really opened my eyes to see just how many people have complications with the band and even up having it removed (and a revision completed) or just removed completely. I believe there are some people out there that have great success and no problems, but the amount of people that were living miserable lives seems like quite a large red flag to me.

I chose the Sleeve or RNY Gastrict Bypass because I didn't not want to experience the amount of vitamin/mineral malabsorption that the RNY has - especially considering I'd like to have kids in the future. Also, I didn't want to experience the "dumping syndrome" that is more prevalent in Bypass patients. The Sleeve surgery seemed pretty straightforward to me and although the idea of physically removing the stomach seemed scary... I realized that I can live a healthy life without it and I don't want the procedure to be reversible anyway! I didn't want to have my intestines re-routed and the sleeve seemed like the best option.

Which surgery you choose is a very personal decision, so I would never want to try to convince someone of one over another, but I would caution you that if you're leaning toward the band... please, please, please look through all the old posts on the band and revision message boards on this site so that you are aware of all of the complications/failures that they bring to the table. I've just read so many posts about people with the band being miserable!

Good luck!!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

wolfgirl74
on 6/3/13 2:02 am - Hagerstown, MD

I think the previous reply answered that very well. I didn't like the idea of a foreign object staying inside of by body. Or that I would have to keep going back for adjustments since my doctor is almost 2 hours away. And I also read about many complications with the band slipping and areas around it becoming infected. The bypass was never for me, too drastic. The sleeve is the perfect middle ground. I haven't had any of the complications that friends have had after bypass surgeries and am very happy that I did it. The recovery was very short and not too painful. I have now lost 47 lbs in just less than 3 months. Only about 60 more to go. It is a very personal decision and you need to do what is best for you. Read up on all the options and then decide what works for YOU!

GreenisLove
on 6/3/13 3:34 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

I second all of Nikke's answer by 1000000000x!!! enlightened

Debbie M.
on 6/3/13 2:00 am - Orient, OH
VSG on 01/30/13

I chose the sleeve due to wanting something permanent and with what I felt had the least problems later. The lap band scared me because of the possibility of band slippage and erosion. The advantage of the lap band is that it can be reversed.  

I have been extremely happy with my decision. I am now 4 months post op and have lost almost 50 pounds since surgery. 

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Melody2
on 6/3/13 3:21 am
VSG on 04/10/13

After much research (i.e., talking 1:1 to people who had the band ), I opted for the sleeve.  In my opinion, which is based on my experience only, the sleeve appeared to a more viable, long-term option with minimal complications. 

It's not an easy fix either way.  The sleeve manages "quantity" but ultimately, it's incumbent on me to manage the "quality" of food I consume.  Through all of this, I'm finally learning the importance of good nutrition.  Now, when I eat something, my first question is, "Will this food nourish my body in a good way or simply feed a head hunger or emotion?" 

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/13 3:43 am
On June 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM Pacific Time, sarah_lil wrote:

Hi!

I had my weight loss surgery consultation a couple of weeks ago and am getting started on all my paperwork for insurance.  My insurance will cover both the Lap Band and sleeve --I am really struggling with this decision.

I have about 85-100 pounds I would like to lose.

What made you decide on the sleeve vs. other types of weight loss surgery?  

Anything you wish you had known about the sleeve that you didn't know or realize until afterwards?  

What are the negatives if any?

Thanks!

The band was killing me, literally.  I was already at goal so there was no need for malabsorption.  The sleeve works wonders.

The band is not forever, even the band makers flat out state it is not a lifetime device.  So you can get a band but you will be revising eventually.  Why not go for the sleeve right up front?  It is safer than a band long term, hands down.

mickeymantle
on 6/3/13 4:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

talking to my surgeon he said the band was not for me and he has a band and lost 85lbs with it

he said ether rny or sleeve, he suggested the sleeve , he said it was a safer  surgery for a heavy weight , that the lose would be about the same , just a little slower, but that there are a lot less problems with the sleeve than the rny , he does not do a ds

I am doing great on the 6 month supervised diet so he says that the sleeve should work great for me , he suggests the rny for people that have problems losing I have problems keeping it off , portion control and snacks Im working on the snacks 

and tracking on myfitnesspal.com to help with portion control(1200 im pre op)

I trust my surgeon and feel his experience  is a better judge than mine of which surgery is best place all I have read in books and online makes me feel this was the right chose for me 

talk about it with your surgeon , go to support group meeting and talk to people that had both surgeries

good luck with your journey   

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

band2sleeverevision
on 6/3/13 4:19 am
VSG on 02/25/13

I've had both with about the same amount of weight to lose.

With the band, you have to be very diligent about hitting your "sweet spot" which can be very difficult.  Not too much fill, but enough to blunt your appetite.  It takes some doing and working with your doctor's office.  And frankly, most surgeon's offices aren't that good at follow up. The band will also limit some of the foods you can eat.  Dense meat can be difficult and vegetables can have problems. Bread can be super difficult for people.  Unfortunately, junk flows right through the band:( If you're willing to do the follow up and realize there's a good possibility of a late complication, the band is a tool like any other.

I had my band for 10 years and I don't know anyone who had it when I did who still has a band. I had a slip after losing 100 lbs and maintaining it for 9 years. When I first got the band, it was assumed that if you made it past the first year or so, slips weren't an issue.  Turns out that isn't the case. And it doesn't really come out and leave you as good as new.  There is typically scar tissue where the band sits that is a permanent feature.

With the sleeve, I can eat all foods, but the restriction isn't as great as when I first had the band.  I'm also losing slower, although that's to be expected with a revision.  I eat more "normal" with the sleeve, just smaller portions. So the sleeve to me is more lifestyle friendly.

Jackie T.
on 6/3/13 4:22 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I went to the surgery consultation to look into the lap band and then heard about the sleeve.  I did not want the bypass because I did not want my insides rerouted.  I also knew several people that have gained back all of their weight.

I listened and then start researching and the band just became a very bad idea for me.  My PCP had a patient that had lost the weight which was a success but now had a hard spot on there side where the port was and was showing through the skin.  My thought was I want to be successful but I don't want to have this thing protruding out of my body.  Also there are soooo many horror stories about problems with the band that I don't want to take the risk.

Now with any surgery you can have complications and you can gain the weight back.  No matter what you decide you have to follow your plan and do the work and continue to do the work once you reach your goal.  You have to work on what triggers you to eat/overeat.  You may need to see a therapist to help you through the process to be successful.

good Luck

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views