Think I may change to the sleeve from RNY

jaesueray
on 6/5/13 8:00 pm
RNY on 09/04/13

I have been reading this board a lot lately and am considering getting the sleeve.

My surgeon suggested RNY because i have so much to lose (325).

Cant i do the same weight loss with the sleeve? it seems to be a quicker recovery and

the fact  that my guts wont be rearranged its a positive.

Anyone go against their surgeon and get the sleeve when they suggested some other WLS?

Thanks for any advice

Jan

Dawnie 88
on 6/5/13 9:19 pm

My surgeon explained the various surgeries to me, but i did all my own research and went to him already knowing what i felt would be best for me.  I started at 354 lbs..5ft 5-1/2 inches tall..he never once had any doubt that i could lose what i wanted to lose with having the sleeve.  I am over 3 yrs postop and doing wonderful..very happy with my choice.   I had 6 incisions..one night in the hospital..very quick recovery (for me).

KJS1228
on 6/5/13 9:29 pm

I was also thinking the same as you...started at 306 and planned on getting the RNY.  My surgeron has seen such fantastic results with the sleeve, that he recommended I consider it highly.  His hospital is doing 1/2 sleeves and 1/2 RNY.  He believes the sleeve will take over as the procedure of choice in the future.  He is seeing very little difference in weight loss.  The outcomes are more about the person rather than the surgery.

I also consulted with 3 other doctors I know and they all thought the sleeve was the better option.

I am now 7 days out from being sleeved.  Feeling great, and down 12 pounds.  It won't be this fast forever, but it makes all of the sipping worth it.

Good luck with your journey!

Karen

HW:  306   |   CW:  148.8|   GW:  149   Sleeved 5/30/13  Friend me on MFP: KJS1228

sleevegirl
on 6/5/13 10:46 pm - Austin, TX

My hospital now does more sleeves than RNY. Take that for what you will.

Obviously, you posted on the VSG board, so we're all VSG fans, for the vast majority.

Me? Well, it's work. But it's going to be work either way. You have to be comfortable with your choice. I don't regret my choice - not for a minute... well, not now... the first week or two after surgery aren't great, but hello... you had surgery!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Booboo227
on 6/6/13 12:19 am - Kitchener, Canada

I actually wasn't a candidate for RNY because I had so much to lose (SW=528) and the surgeon recommended the sleeve. They said it would work better long term for me than RNY and had somewhat less risks associated with it than the RNY for me at least.

I would recommend you talk to your surgeon about why you would like the sleeve instead. You can achieve equally great results on either but you need to be prepared to put in the effort and do the work.

Sandy M.
on 6/6/13 4:50 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Here's my question for you - do you currently eat a lot of sweets **** cream, milkshakes, candy, cookies, etc.)?  RNY will make it very difficult for you to do so post-surgery, which is a good tool for some.  With the sleeve, you can eat sweets and they go down very easily, so if you're a sweet tooth, you REALLY have to change your eating habits.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

pineview01
on 6/10/13 10:37 am - Davison, MI

Just a word on this.  They are finding this is only true in 30/40%  so it doesn't work in 60/70% of RNY either.

So far with the sleeve, I'm only 4.5 months, sweets make me sick to my stomach.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Crazeru
on 6/10/13 10:18 am

Also, investigate the DS.  It has the best averages and keeping the weight off.  If you are pre-diabetic or have diabetes now it has the best resolution with a 98-99% cure rate... 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

pineview01
on 6/10/13 10:39 am - Davison, MI

The sleeve is the first part of the 2 stage DS, so If you do go with the Sleeve over RNY you still have this option down the road if you need it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views