undecided again???

Endlesslywaiting
on 6/17/13 11:04 am

I have just posted in regards to lap/band over RNY...I am completely over having the lap-band done. Now im undecided with the sleeve and RNY, I have not heard much about the sleeve. I like the idea that there is no bybassing of my intestines for RNY, but Im a bit nervous to have partial my stomach completely removed. A little overwhelming and a lot of decisions to make. I do have zero-negative arthritis, i am currently on prednisone and methotroxate, and enbral injections of that. I am getting weened off predisone now and methotroxate will be shortly after. the enbrel injections seem to be working better than everything else. obviously the weight loss from surgery will relieve some pressure on my knee and ankle, but i will probably need the meds. i also have high blood pressure at the moment and am taking meds for that as well. i know a big part of the sleeve is that i would still be able to take these meds.. correct?

What is the the recovery time after surgery between the two? 

Is the post op meal plan the same for both? 

Any regrets with either?

Thanks in advance. Everyone is pretty great on here to take he time out to answer questions.

VSG on 06/12/13
Yep. I was all set for RNY until I got to worrying g about the knee replacement I know is in my future. No NSAIDS was a big reason for my switch to sleeve. And, 5 days in, no regrets whatsoever.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

justpete
on 6/17/13 11:41 am
VSG on 04/02/13

i dont know about you, but i'd rather have 85% of my stomach removed then leave 85% of my stomach in there and not doing anything. 

your doctor should be able to help you out on the choice.  with RNY, you might have to adjust the dose of your meds due to the maladsorption - need to check on that with him. They can monitor the metabolites of the medications after surgery and adjsut the dose if needed. A malabsorptive approach with the RNY might be the way to go if you foresee being on pred for a while or having ot go back on it.  I was on it for a long time and i was absolutely ravonous at times, an extra safety net of maladsorption might be good idea!

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/17/13 12:22 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My hubby is 6 days out, has had no pain other than when he hiccuped during the first couple of days. That pain stopped when his drain was removed. His BMI was only 33.5 - he had it done to lose enough to free himself from his cpap and BP meds. He's already managing without 1 of his 3 BP meds and he napped without his cpap this afternoon - without snoring!

Does he have regrets? Nope!

My VSG was a year ago, when I had a BMI of 47, and took meds for high BP, high cholesterol, arthritis and severe sciatica. I chose the VSG in expectation that I'd need to continue taking NSAIDS, and the VSG is the only WLS that allows them at all. (I've since learned that DS also allows them) I was off my BP and cholesterol meds within a month and have only taken pain meds a few times since the week after my surgery.

Regrets? Only that I didn't go self pay and have it done a year earlier, after being turned down for surgery locally.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

lil1inside
on 6/17/13 1:15 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

I went thru the same exact things that you have, lap-band? RNY? Sleeve?  My husband did wonderfully with the RNY so I was settled on that, until the doctor showed me the simple (sometimes simple is best for me :)) diagram of the different surgeries and my eyes liked the thought of not messing with the intestines.  You will do fine with whatever you decide--just make sure you do your research, research, research.

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views