Question for the revisioners

MARIA F.
on 6/18/13 5:24 am - Athens, GA

If you revised, how have you done with your VSG? Do you feel your weight loss was slower? Do you feel you have had additional problems as a result of damage  or complications from the lapband? How long did your revision take? Was this able to be all be done in one surgery?

FormerlyFluffy.com

Andrea H.
on 6/18/13 7:05 am - Middletown, NJ
VSG on 04/08/13
My surgery was about 3 hours. I had my band removed, a hiatal hernia repair, lesions in my stomach repaired and sleeved all in one surgery. I don't think my weight loss is slow at all. Surgery was 4/8 and I have lost almost 30 pounds already. I didn't even lose that with the band. I haven't experienced any problems since from my band, in fact I feel so much better!

Hope this helps out a bit!
Andrea
MARIA F.
on 6/18/13 8:41 am - Athens, GA

Glad you're feeling better Andrea!

FormerlyFluffy.com

edelu
on 6/18/13 7:08 am - los angeles, CA

I had my revision surgery all in one.  I was completely compliant for about 15 months and i lost weight in an excruciatingly slow manner.  It ended up being about 1lb per week which one might say was pretty impossible on 600-800 calories and 30 carbs but i believe the band ruined my metabolism. I loved my band.  Sure the sliming and sometimes not being able to swallow were...well less than optimal but i lost weight at a good pace and could eat in all of the food groups.  The sleeve was a diet, and before anyone says 'why do you call it a diet'? Because it was.  See calorie and carb count above.  Also i was never hungry on my band, never. Not so with my sleeve.

I got to goal in fact under but it was hard.  I've noticed that the successful and fast revisions on here tended not to have so much  success with their bands with loss, so it seems to me that their metabolisms were pretty healthy and they lost well and quickly.

Hope this helps.  As far as how long the surgery took, i have no idea but it was not any longer than my surgeon had expected.

MARIA F.
on 6/18/13 8:43 am - Athens, GA

Just wondering what problems you had with your band and why you had to revise???

FormerlyFluffy.com

band2sleeverevision
on 6/18/13 8:36 am
VSG on 02/25/13

I am losing more slowly than I did with the band but I am still losing. I had lost 100 pounds with the band originally and kept it off until the band started having issues.

No complications but I did have a thick scar from where the band sat (I had it for 10 years). My doctor took the band out, waited for 3 months and then did the sleeve operation.  It took a bit longer than a virgin sleeve, maybe 30 minutes longer on the table.

reneemosley
on 6/18/13 10:30 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12

I too am a slow loser. I have lost close to 100 Lbs with my revision, I still have 50 to go and I am at 13 months. I never lost weight (above the initial 30 Lbs) with my band.

My surgery was out-patient and in one surgical procedure. I have had zero complications and feel better than I ever did with the band. I checked in at 6am and was home at 4PM.

I agree with edlu and the band jacks up your metabolism. The sleeve (or any surgery) is no magic answer, you have to work it. Be prepared to work hard and change your life and this tool will help you get there.

I really felt so much better getting the band out. With hind sight I should have had sleeve surgery first ( my surgeon told me he was starting the option soon when I had my band but I didn't listen). Oh well we can only move forward.

good luck on your future surgery!

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

puzzled
on 6/19/13 5:06 am - Palatine, IL
VSG on 05/20/13

I had my band removed and sleeve done all in one surgery. I am only 1 month post-op. I am struggling with losing right now. I lost 15lbs. in the first 2 weeks but, have not lost anything since. I am in a dreaded stall. I was in the hospital 3 nights. The surgery was longer doing both. I did not have very much scar tissue (this is why I was able to get the sleeve in the same surgery). I liked my band (I had it for 6 1/2 years) but, it slipped and was too old to revise. I had not been losing with it for a long time. I lost 70lbs. initially, and gained back 20lbs (although that was after having a child as well). I thought I wanted another band until I realized all the troubles I could have with it. I did not want to worry about an additional surgery down the line if it slipped again.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 241 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views