To PPI or not to PPI, that is the question

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/19/13 1:05 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My PPI wasn't doing the trick, so I was planning on seeing my doctor about a different one, then forgot to take it our first day in San Diego. When I realised that I'd gone through a day without it - and without any reflux, I wondered if my reflux might have more to do with stress than just too much acid in general. (I'd had raging heartburn the entire week before we went - even with the PPI) So - I didn't take it the whole week we were away, and the only time I had heartburn was while Barry was in surgery, when I took a couple of Gaviscon.

At a year out I was beginning to be concerned about continuing to take the PPI, since it has its own set of side effects/problems. (Fractures, difficulty in absorbing iron and calcium, undoubtedly others)

So, for now I'm PPI free, although I'll be in to see my Dr pretty quickly if working on a particular stressor, ginger tea and the occasional Gaviscon don't do the trick. Even then, I think I'll talk to him about something to take as needed for anxiety instead of a PPI and see what he thinks. I'm fortunate in having a very approachable family doctor who is open to discussing options

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

mickeymantle
on 6/19/13 1:31 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if your doctor says you don't need it its better not to take it, but reflux can lead to major problems including cancer ,ulcers

and minor problems, feeling hungry

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/19/13 1:52 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Hunger isn't an issue at all, but the raging heartburn sure was, and you're totally right about the dangers of constant reflux.
I was surprised to find that the constant reflux (which the PPI wasn't helping) disappeared when I was away from a particular stress. I'm watching carefully, with Gaviscon at hand, and if the reflux isn't easily controllable I'll be back at the doctor and asking about options. (Either something for stress or a different PPI)

linzeelee
on 6/19/13 1:32 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

I know this may sound crazy, but years ago I had bad heartburn. I was taking lots of Prilosec every day for years. I became concerned about the side effects of PPIs after I fractured my hip. I quit taking them, and my heartburn pretty much went away. No idea why. It's counterintuitive, but that was my experience.

Once I realized I was gluten intolerant and went gluten free, any remaining heartburn I had went away.

Now I am taking Prilosec again to protect my stomach, and I'm okay with that for awhile. But I do want to be off of it again someday.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/19/13 2:01 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I've read there's a short term increase in acid on going off the PPI, then it should settle right down, so I'm being extra vigilant about tracking reflux and keeping Gaviscon or ginger tea on hand to deal with it. So far so good!

I hope my experience is like yours.

The 3 months of a PPI after surgery is completely different. You don't want anything to interfere with your healing. Hubby is faithfully downing his granulated PPI every morning.

jubjub
on 6/19/13 5:54 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

At the six-month mark I experimented and cut to 1 every other day.  Then I tried going without and only taking a ppi when i had symptoms.  It took a couple months, but following this protocol I weaned off.  I now take the PPI almost never.  But everyone seems different - I DO think that weaning is important as they're can be a backlash the first few days if you go cold turkey.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/19/13 9:23 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'd probably have cut down gradually if I'd known there could be a problem, but I think it's too late now. Hopefully my need of Gaviscon will be temporary - I love saying goodbye to any drug.

I hope other people will see this and taper off slowly like you did. It sounds like the sensible thing to do.