What if I can't eat seafood?

Smcquithy
on 6/23/13 12:35 pm

I see that many of you eat seafood items to get the protein in. 

I have an extreme shellfish allergy and can't even eat most types of fish that may eat shrimp and such. Is this going to cause me a problem after I am sleeved? 

and my other question is I will be having a hernia repaired during my surgery. How much extra recovery is involved with it? 

acbbrown
on 6/23/13 12:38 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Seafood is not a big part of my diet - i eat it once in a while, but definitely not a primary form of protein. I did force myself to start eating shrimp for the protein but I really only love it if its unhealthy anyway...

Just be prepared to eat lots of chicken, beef, pork, lamb, eggs, dairy, protein shakes. You'll be just fine. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

lsereno
on 6/23/13 1:12 pm - CA

I eat fish probably once per week or more, but my main forms of protein from meats are lean chicken, pork, and beef - in that order. I also eat low fat lunch meat almost every day. I eat shellfish less than once per week. 

I had a hiatial hernia repair and I recovered as fast as most people with just the sleeve.

Lynda

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/23/13 2:12 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Cutting food GROUPS can be a problem, but not eating specific foods within a group is generally not an issue at all. I eat from all groups (not a low carber) but within the meat and alternates group I skip beef, pork, shellfish and most forms of eggs. I DO eat chicken, some forms of finny fish and legumes. I also get a fair amount of my protein from dairy - cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt and protein shakes.

I'm not allergic like you, but can't handle the smell or texture of shellfish. Beef, on the other hand, makes my nastily ill, even in tiny amounts.

If it's a hiatal hernia my surgeon requires an extra 5 days on clear fluids and a bit longer before doing any lifting. Your surgeon will tell you exactly what to do.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views