Psych eval tomorrow

RoMoFo
on 6/24/13 2:02 pm
VSG on 09/19/13

I'm nervous because I don't know what to expect!  I have read posts and watched videos and some have not had positive experiences.  This is the last thing I have to do before my doctors office submits to insurance and my nerves are kicking in!  And tips/advise/experiences...Anything would be greatly appreciated 

band2sleeverevision
on 6/24/13 2:22 pm
VSG on 02/25/13

You'll take some tests to start out.  Typically an overall personality test to make sure there are not any untreated conditions that need to be addressed.  You'll also take an eating inventory usually.  They're screening for bulimia and anorexia because weight loss surgery is not indicated in those conditions.

You'll be fine.  They grade the tests right there and then discuss what the results are and what you need to focus on for the surgery to be successful. Never ever heard of anyone "failing" a psych eval and not able to have surgery.

DonnaMaria
on 6/24/13 10:02 pm
I had my appointment yesterday. The therapist I met did not have any test, just a lot of questions. They look for anorexia and bulimia but they also just want to be sure you understand the surgery.

cappy11448
on 6/24/13 10:13 pm

My psych evaluation was a pleasant experience.  I just talked to a psychologist who asked questions about my family, work, support structures, biggest stresses in my life, etc.  No tests. 

The purpose of the psych eval is to find any issues that might cause you problems down the road and get you the help you need so you have the best chance of success after surgery.  So try to think of it as support rather than an obstacle.  The WL clinic is in the business of providing WLS.  They don't want to deny you the surgery.  They want to make sure you are in the best mental state to handle the stress of the recovery and succeed long term. 

Good luck with your evaluation.  You'll do great.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Nikke2003
on 6/24/13 10:24 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I don't think that you need to worry! During mine, there were just a lot of questions related to my expectations (to find out if they wre reasonable) how prepared I was mentally for the surgery (she asked me to describe the research I've done, what changes I've made and will still need to make) and then also asked about my support system.

Good luck!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 11:04 pm

I was very worried about this part of the process as well, but needlessly so in hindsight.  I guess looking back on it I was worried that I would be declined given my huge pattern of failed weight loss attempts.  Kinda silly when I think about it now given that is why folks have the surgery and all.  I was also a little concerned that depression could have been a factor for denial.  Not that I was clinically diagnosed, but the weight was surly affecting me negatively.  I just wasn't sure how it would plan out.  Anyway, 2 years later I ended up going back to the guy who did the screen when some issues with my daughter came up.  You may find that it is a good experience overall, so try not to worry.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

mickeymantle
on 6/25/13 1:52 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

hated the 2 hour computer test , yea im bolemic or anorexic at 400 lbs get real , I passed with no problem 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

tdallison
on 6/25/13 2:56 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I go for my Psych eval on July 2nd.  I am nervous, scared, excited (kind of all over the place) LOL.  Please post back and let everyone know how it goes. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views