Frustrated and feeling defeated....

vsgme2013
on 6/25/13 8:18 am

I am 2 weeks out tomorrow and I am starving.  I drink a premiere protein shake in about 5 minutes.  I can chug it down.  I don't feel uncomfortable at all.  Also, I went for a walk and forgot about surgery and guzzled down water from my water bottle.  I had 1 scrambled egg and felt full for maybe 10 minutes and no I had not drank 30 minutes prior.  I feel like I am dieting like I did prior to surgery because I constantly feel hungry.  I am just so frustrated and feel very, very alone right now.  I feel like demanding for my surgeon to prove that he actually took more than a centimeter of my stomach.  Something just doesn't feel right and I don't see anyone else saying they are having this issue...so I have no one to turn to for help.  This has been so much to go through for me to just feel like I did pre-surgery.  I had so many dreams about my post surgery life and I am lost.  Sorry to sound so pathetic but who else can I turn to?

VSG on 6/12/2013.  Surgery weight 251 lbs. 

pdtmd501
on 6/25/13 8:26 am

I'm sorry you feel this way.  I'm not very far out so I don't have a whole lot of help.  I will say that my doctor gave me a copy of my procedure when I asked for it.  Also, do you know anyone else who had your surgeon that you might talk with? 

SURGERY WITH DR. PLEATMAN--05/30/13       

HW:303    SW: 299   GW:  180

serenity1959
on 6/25/13 8:50 am
VSG on 08/05/13

Are you on a PPI?   That might help.   And, it might just take some time, too.

emelar
on 6/25/13 8:54 am - TX

I spent the first several weeks wondering whether my doc had done the surgery or just punched a bunch of holes in my abdomen.  I didn't have any issues with drinking from the hospital forward, which is a good thing - no dehydration and able to hit protein goals right away.

You will feel restriction when you hit regular foods.  Don't ru****  If you're getting hungry, I'll second the PPI recommendation.  Acid mimics hunger, and your stomach continues to produce more acid than it needs for awhile.  Pepcid AC worked for me.  You may need something stronger, but try the pepcid first.

Minemake14
on 6/25/13 9:39 am

I am four and a half months out- I was able to drink at a good rate after the second or third day home. You will for sure start to feel restriction when you start dense protein, take it slow on the food so you don't do any damage or get sick- I see you ahve lost 12 pounds, celebrate it, get a ppi,,,,hang in there

vsgme2013
on 6/25/13 9:49 am

Thank you to everyone *****plied.  I have been taking 1 omeprazole 20 mg once a day.  Maybe I'll up it to two.  I'm also going to see if he has a copy of the procedure.  That's a good idea.  I know that I am way more emotional than I was before the surgery.  And I know that is not helping things.  Plus I think I am in a stall.  I haven't lost anything in 4 days.

VSG on 6/12/2013.  Surgery weight 251 lbs. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/13 11:19 am - TX

I'm 3 weeks out, still on liquids. I am hungry all the time, but I have been noticing what triggers it. Food commercials, making dinner for my son, stressors with family. I am trying to retrain my brain. ,I also can drink water and shakes without sipping. At my 2 week follow up My dr. did a barium swallow, I got to see it on the screen so I felt better having actually seen my new size stomach. Not a lot of help I know, but its always good to know your not alone. Hopefully we'll check in a few weeks with great results. 

gorditabonita
on 6/25/13 12:33 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

First of all, your stomach is still healing and it is making the same about of "juices" it did before surgery because it was used to digesting that amout of food. To take care of this, you must make sure that you have the right PPI. The acid or "juices" can mimic hunger. You many have to try different ones too. For me, Prevacid was a joke but Protonix works like magic. 

Also, be careful with "head hunger".....that part, for me, is harder than anything else. I always ask myself if I am really hungry, if it doesn't seem like I should be. Thirst can also mimic hunger - so, I turn to water first. If I am still hungry after that, I listen to my body. 

Bottom line, I would not worry yet, but I would bring these issues up with your doctor. Once you switch to dense proteins, I am sure you will feel better too.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

tigerbelle
on 6/25/13 12:46 pm - LA
VSG on 05/06/13

I can't add anything to the good advice that's already been given...I would also recommend you try a PPI...gorditabonita, I am curious about what you said concerning Prevacid...that is what my dr prescribed and what I've been taking....most days I don't think I have issues but there are other days when I still feel like I could use more acid control...is there anyone else who has tried Prevacid before switching to something else that they felt worked better?  I feel like the Prevacid works most of the time with no side effects so I am hesitant to switch meds...but if there is something that can help me more for those days when I have more acid or experience what I think is hunger

happyheather
on 6/25/13 1:11 pm - Bowling Green, KY
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views