So mad and disappointed in myself

butrflygrl_67
on 6/30/13 1:03 am - Fredericktown/Mansfield, OH

let me start at the beginning..i was approved for a medical study and got my vsg surgery for free..in a year i lost 103 pounds and 106% body fat..i was doing so good..and now i have been battling chronic migraines, severe and chronic depression and anxiety, i have been off work for the past 2.5 years,i don't do very much in the way of anything except eat..i don't exercise due to my severe dizziness and balance issues, all of this makes me more depressed...there are several days even weeks that i can't even get out of bed..i've even been through a divorce because he couldn't handle all of my issues..i have went from 137 to 190..so now i'm wanting to get my life back..even when i feel like s**t, i'm gonna get up and do something..bc something is better than nothing..but i'm asking for help..any help..i need to break myself from carbs and sugar and and just about everything...thanks and have a great day

pdtmd501
on 6/30/13 1:11 am

You've already taken an important step.  Believe in yourself and make a plan!!  People often say to take one day at a time but in the beginning for you, take one minute at a time (then the next and next).  I used to have a mantra for myself: get up and go as far as you can today.  This help me first, to get up.  YOU CAN DO THIS!!  I'm sure you have doctors and counselors so keep doing that or start counseling if you don't currently go.  Depression is very hard emotionally AND physically. 

Good luck.  We are here.

SURGERY WITH DR. PLEATMAN--05/30/13       

HW:303    SW: 299   GW:  180

melanieannd
on 6/30/13 1:17 am - TX
VSG on 06/13/12

You lost the weight before, so you know what to do, right? Time to detox. Get all of the crap food out of the house and do not put yourself in a situation that will leave you susceptible to excess calories. If you cannot handle something in moderation, it shouldn't be near you. Protein first, always. How much water are you drinking? Try to get up to 80 ounces at least, the more the better. If you cannot exercise for longer than 5-10 minutes, split it up. Take a 5 minute walk several times throughout the day. You have lost the weight before, you can lose it again. Free yourself from all excuses. I have suffered from depression the majority of my life, so i can relate. It isn't easy, but you just have to ask yourself, what is important? You have an excellent support system here in OH, but try to enlist more support from friends, family, any support groups in your area. The more support we have, the better. You can do this!

Check out my blog, http://www.missingmelanie.com and like me on Facebook. :) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Melanie/618740441485479

cappy11448
on 6/30/13 1:21 am

I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling.  It is so difficult to be "strong" and disciplined when dealing with chronic pain.  I'm so pleased that you reached out for help.  That is a good first step.  You can do this.  You have a lot of strength and resilience.

There is a book I love call "The Road Less Traveled"  by M.Scott Peck.  Paraphrasing sightly, it starts out "Life is difficult.  Once you know this, it gets easier."  Every struggle is an opportunity to learn a little better who we are and what is important to us.  Sometimes I try to shift perspectives in this way.

I went through a divorce many years ago, and I know how difficult it can be.  My only advise is to keep busy.  Take classes, do volunteer work, get involved at your church, town committees, local charities.  This too shall pass, and sometimes all you can do is make the best of what you have, even when it is difficult.

I wish you well with your weight loss.  You've done it before, and you know what to do.  I wish you the best in this difficult time.

blessings,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

happyteacher
on 6/30/13 6:14 am

Can you track down what is causing the dizziness?  Do you suspect you need more fluids?  An electrolyte imbalance?  Low sodium?  Meds that need adjusting?  Get rid of that and you will feel a ton better!  I applaud you for taking charge!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

justpete
on 6/30/13 6:35 am
VSG on 04/02/13

I have bad balance issues as well, from back problems, the weight, poorly aligned feet, as well as a lack of endurance due to liver problems.  I dont do a ton of exercise, but i'm really liking my treadmill.  I can go about 5-10 times the distance walking on that versus on the road ... jsut because there are handrails i can rest my arms on that keep me a lot more balanced.  makes a huge difference.

the dizziness is a harder thing to track down, there are so many possible causes.  must be your doc can direct you to someone to figure it out.   no easy break from carbs either,  jsut to stay away.  lol

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Melanie1015
on 6/30/13 1:35 pm
Hi there! First of all I can truly empathize with u. When u say depression, that at times it's very difficult to get out of bed. That happens to me. I suffer from chronic back pain. I've been out of work for about 1year. I had to junk my vehicle, so now I'm on foot. Not doing well, financially speaking. I don't have any family support whatsoever. No one calls. No friends, they all disappeared. I've been separated from my husband (long story) for about 5 years. I have an 18 year old daughter, but she is dealing with her issues. I want to do gastric bypass surgery but unfortunately have no one that could take me to seminar and to see the surgeon. It's out of my way. I get really depressed because I have no moral support from anyone. I want to do so much and achieve certain goals but feel as though all doors are closed, but u know what keeps me going is God. I pray alot and tell myself this is temporary and things will change, eventually. So, if there is anyone out there that is willing to motivate, please drop me a note. As for u my dear, I say, pray, pray, and don't give up we r here now. God wants us to accomplish things and move on. There may be down falls, but we just need to pick up pieces and do one thing at a time. U have conquered the majority part. Don't let anyone bring u down. U did it before and u shall continue to fulfill Your journey. I truly wish u all the luck in the world. U have a friend in New Jersey!!! U can write me if you would like!!
butrflygrl_67
on 6/30/13 9:49 pm - Fredericktown/Mansfield, OH

thanks melanie and believe me i do pray...ALOT..i'm sorry for your situation but you have a friend in ohio as well..and i would love to write you

butrflygrl_67
on 6/30/13 9:51 pm - Fredericktown/Mansfield, OH

thank you all for your support, it means the world to me..today i have started my new journey, as i write this i am drinking a banana flavored protein shake  :)

noftessa0401
on 7/1/13 3:33 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

Make sure you are keeping your sleeve acid in check, and taking a PPI if you need to.  You might want to take a PPI anyway, to see if it helps with the migraines.  Acid in the sleeve can irritate the sinuses, causing migraine headaches.  You might not even know this is happening.  It can't hurt to take a PPI for a bit to see if you notice a difference.

Good luck - you can get through this!

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views