GERD prior to surgery...anyone?

Bayoubabie98
on 7/1/13 10:35 am

Hello all!

I am a new member considering the gastric sleeve.  I've seen my surgeon, dietitian, and nurse practitioner and have a TON of appointments this month for various preop procedures.  I've been researching for months now and I'm already working on picking out favorite protein shakes (so I can stock up preop on what I know I like) and engaging in activities to occupy my time that are NOT food related (picked up playing my flute again and hoping to start playing the piano again as well).  I think I'm well on my way and I'm SO excited!

When I first visited my surgeon, week before last, she expressed concern about the fact that I am being treated for GERD.  I've been on a prescription medication for it for a few years now. I am good to remember to take my nexium at night but often forget to take it in the morning.  I have also had a bad habit of eating too late at night.  For the last two months I've had a terrible time of it and often wake up at night with acid in my throat.  My surgeon explained that the gastric sleeve may make this condition worse and that if it does indeed worsen that the only way to fix it at that point is to do a revision to the gastric bypass.  I do NOT want the gastric bypass.  So for two weeks I have been vigilant about NO high acid foods, NO eating after 6pm, NO sodas (gotta give these up anyway so two weeks ago I gave them up entirely), taking my meds morning AND night as prescribed, and I'm drinking aloe water (natural remedy a dietitian recommended) twice per day.  The good news is that I've not had ONE incident of GERD at night since I made all these changes!  Still, I am so afraid that the GERD will return or get worse after surgery and that I'll end up with a bypass later on. 

So here's my question:  Have any of you had issues with GERD prior to surgery and found that it was better following surgery?  I do know that it is normal to have GERD for the first several weeks (maybe even the first two months) following surgery until one is healed. 

Any stories would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you so much and I look forward to getting to know some of you.  :)

~Angela

Kabooboo
on 7/1/13 12:56 pm

I had silent GERD for many years and I had the same concerns as you. Since surgery, I'd say it is no better or worse that I can tell. Based on my surgeon's recommendation, I have gone from taking one PPI a day before surgery, and now I take two a day, 12 hours apart. The medication controls it quite well and I have only the most mild symptoms at times.  I am one year out.

thinnersinner
on 7/1/13 1:11 pm

I had GERD for many years before surgery.  Mine is better after surgery.  I think almost all of it was due to a poor diet with junk food and pop and eating too much.  I take one omeprazole per day.  It was pretty bad right after surgery, but that decreased as my stomach healed. 

Machelle.K
on 7/1/13 1:35 pm - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

My GERD has disappeared and I only take Pepcid Complete maybe once every 2-3 months for gassy stomach. Happy for this unexpected surprise.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

wink77
on 7/1/13 2:21 pm - NE
I had it preop too and now it's gone. I am 2 months post op and down 50 lbs.
Bayoubabie98
on 7/1/13 9:12 pm

Thank you all so much for your replies!  And congrats on your successes so far.  There are so many inspirational stories here!  :)

Sandy M.
on 7/1/13 10:05 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I did have horrible GERD, but I believe it was from my Lap Band and the hernia it caused.  My surgeon warned me just like you that if the GERD was not related to the band, the VSG could make it worse.  I guess I'll find out when I go from two Prilosecs a day down to 1, starting tomorrow!

Good luck to you - you're on your way to new life!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views