PREGNANCY AFTER SURGERY? ANYONE?

hannahp
on 7/2/13 2:06 am - MS

I get sleeved TOMORROW! I have religiously been reading this forum for days now. Seeing pictures really fascinates me. I cannot wait to share those with yall one day. Plus, reading all about yalls food helps me not notice all the people around me eating all their normal food. Chicken broth is getting OLDDDDDD. Ha. 

I just had a question - have any of you all been pregnant after the sleeve? Was the pregnancy hard trying to get all your nutrients plus some for the baby? And if so, after the baby was born did was the weight easy to get back off?

I am young, just 25, and I hope to have kids one day. My boyfriend and I talk a lot about the future and marriage and kids and it's for sure something that I want one day. It was one of the first things I researched when thinking of WLS and found out its actually much easier to get pregnant after WLS cause your so much more healthy. My doctor advises to weight 2 years after WLS before becoming pregnant, which is FINE, I'm in no hurry! ;-) Just wondering, though, "real-life" experiences. 

At this point, less than 24 hours before surgery, I'm thinking of EVERYTHING. 

Hannah, 25

VSG: July 3, 2013

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." -C.S. Lewis

Diana E.
on 7/2/13 2:29 am
VSG on 03/27/13

There's quite a few on here who have... and my surgeon talked about it during my pre-op family visit.... basically lectured my husband and I, LOL.  He said during the losing phase, there's a lot of hormones being released and you are VERY fertile.  He advised 2 forms of birth control.  I am done having kids and this terrifies me!! 

BUT.. with that said, yes, you can have a healthy pregnancy.  I've seen quite a few success stories.  As long as you stay under your Dr's care and advisement, you should be fine.  In fact, it will help with a much healthier pregnancy.  I can't speak to the losing of weight after, as I honestly didn't pay too much attention to that part.  But a healthy pregnancy and healthy babies can happen.

Good luck tomorrow.... and in your journey ahead.  It's truly amazing and life changing!

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

hannahp
on 7/2/13 2:47 am - MS

Thank you! I like reading what other doctors have to say too.

I am so ready! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT! 

Hannah, 25

Birdie55
on 7/2/13 2:31 am

There is a pregnancy board on this website and from reading there occasionally, many women have gotten pregnant after WLS.

I do notice is that many of them are not at goal when they do get pregnant and then have trouble getting rid of pregnancy weight afterwards.  But then there are many who gain very little and lose that after having the baby.  So, it can go both ways.  But maybe post on that board and see what responses you get.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

hannahp
on 7/2/13 2:46 am - MS

Ok, great, thank you! 

Hannah, 25

TynettaM
on 7/2/13 3:36 am - Greensboro, NC

Hey surgery buddy.....I'm thinking about this and more...like yourself.

Can't wait til 10:45 on tomorrow...

hannahp
on 7/2/13 3:44 am - MS

It seems so far away and yet so close!

I have to be there at 730 in the morn. I'll be thinking of you!

Hannah, 25

christine500
on 7/2/13 4:00 am

There is actually really great benefits to having the surgery and then having babies (for the baby that is):

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57586480/moms-who-had-we ight-loss-surgery-may-pass-on-healthier-genes/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views