Questions, questions, and more questions!

ABath
on 7/3/13 7:27 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13

First off, I'm sorry for the length of this post. I just wanted to get as many questions out there and answered as I could.

I originally planned to have WLS in 2011 and after lurking quite a bit on this forum, was leaning towards the DS. Although I had all of my pre-surgery requirements completed, my insurance required that I wait an additional 5 months to schedule a surgery date in order to have the required two years of documented weight from the doctor. I didn’t have this because I had been hiding from my doctor as I was ashamed of my weight.

During my waiting period, my husband decided to leave for greener pastures so I put off having surgery while dealing with the divorce. I am now looking at it again but truthfully, the thought of someone rerouting my insides scares me to death so the VSG. looks like a very attractive choice. I am also nervous about the amount of vitamins and vigilance with medical staff if I have an emergency and letting them know about my new internal set-up. Because I am now single and my family lives almost 1,000 miles away, I may not have anyone to advocate for me during an emergency situation. Will I need to be as vigilant with the VSG in letting them know about my surgery?

That being said, I have a few questions about the VSG. I did a LOT of homework on the DS and I understand that the VSG is technically the 1st ½ of the DS. I love that you have a fully functioning stomach and retain the pyloric valve.

1. The DS requires a ton of vitamins – does the VSG require the same amount (what are the usual requirements)?

1. What is the normal vitamin/blood work (labs) regime for the VSG post-surgery?

1. I had surgery several years ago for hyperhidrosis right before I started gaining massive amounts of weight. I have found through research that some people have had to have pace makers because the surgery has slowed down their heart rate. Some sites say that the slowed heart rate has been the cause of weight gain as you can’t get your heart up to the proper aerobic speed for weight loss. Has anyone had experience with slow heart rate to know if this will affect the amount and timing of weight loss with only doing the sleeve?

1. I stress eat some but most of the time, people are commenting on how little I eat. I'm concerned that if I have trouble losing weight naturally that the sleeve won't work for me.

1. I know that this is just a tool and I will have to work very hard and change my lifestyle. My question is that it seems that if the rules/steps are followed correctly, then wouldn’t I would really just be doing an extreme diet on a smaller stomach since the VSG doesn’t have mal-absorbative properties?  What is the difference between having WLS and just following an extremely strict diet? I guess I wonder if I have enough gumption to follow the strict WLS diet, is an extreme surgery really necessary? Does the surgery really just force me to follow the rules? I’m not trying to be flippant, my mind over thinks everything and I don’t want to just jump into a surgery without all of the answers. I also only want to be cut once!

1. …and of course the question which is the least important in the overall scheme of things but VERY important to my palette. I understand that I will need to lay off carbonated drinks (which will be hard because I really like the fizziness) but do I have to get rid of coffee too (after the initial phases post-surgery)? I’m a Starbucksaholic so I know that I drink a lot of my daily calorie intake and will need to make changes to the type of coffee drinks I order, but do I need to get rid of coffee/caffeine entirely?

1. Any advice, information, etc… that you want to give is greatly appreciated.

Height: 5'1" HW: 229 SW: 203 CW: 147.7

Kstarnes77
on 7/3/13 8:21 am - Fayetteville, AR
I'll be honest, I have no helpful advice! However, I am interested in hearing all of the answers as I also in decision stages and have just been researching online. Your questions are even more specific than mine but the more I am learning, the more I want to know details so I can envision living a new life with all of the new daily regimens and other changes. From what I have read online the protein requirements via shakes, etc are very similar to the other procedures. Where do you live? Kristina
pineview01
on 7/3/13 8:38 am, edited 7/3/13 8:51 am - Davison, MI

My sister has a DS and I didn't realize how much she too****il I cruised with her.  It is overwhelming.  I take calcium citrate & vitamin D3 twice a day, two multi-vitamins twice a day and B-12.  They added Zinc based on my labs.  My DD who has been sleeved almost three years also has issues with iron.  They also put me on 2 PPI's a day at time of surgery but, I have cut back to one.

I had to have labs pre-op, 2 weeks post op and than again at 2 months and 6 months.  Than yearly for life.  I couldn't tell you what all test I need.

I haven't heard anything about the heart so can't help there.

I stress ate too and people commented on how little/slow I ate.  I had lots of stress The sleeve is working for me

Yes it is just a tool and you have to follow the steps//rules.   It is an extremely strict diet but having the smaller stomach is the help I needed.

We were told no pop or caffeine for life, that said after talking with my therapist, yes I recommend seeing one, we both disagree with the nut and I was some caffeine now.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

uveaprettyface
on 7/3/13 8:58 am
VSG on 03/22/13

Hi,

I had the sleeve a little over 3 mo ago. I was originally wanting the D.S. but my husband and doc told me to try the sleeve first to see if it would be sufficient.  My doc also said that if I wasn't used to going to the bathroom during the day at work, it would be a huge adjustment with the D.S.  There are definitely more vitamins for the D.S.  With the sleeve, I have been taking a multivitamin, Ca and Vit D once a day.  I admit, I was supposed to take it more.  I just got my 3 month lab work and everything was great so I wil continue with once a day. As far as labs: I think all the surgeries are the same: 3 mo, 6mo, 9mo, 12mo then yearly.   I am also a stress eater.  The surgery has been very helpful with that because I can't possibly get more food in.  Initially, I had buyer's remorse because I thought I could have done the same thing without the sleeve.  But then I realized: #1: I hadn't. #2: If I had, I had gained it back. #3: I have way more control over food than I had before. I don't count calories, I just eat protein and if I am still hungry, I eat other stuff. And I can stop!!    As for carbonated drinks: you can have them after the 1st month. Even the coffee.  Recover for the sleeve for me was pretty easy. The first 4 days weren't pleasant but I went back to work after 2 1/2 weeks and I am running around at work.  Do I regret not getting the D.S? Not sure yet.  I am probably losing a bit slower than other people, but I am starting to feel healthy again. 

Elaine1964
on 7/3/13 1:40 pm

Thank you so much for your post. I, too have been lurking...trying to find something on this board which would resonate. Lord knows OH is rife with inspiration, but it wasn't until I read your response about "why not just do it without the surgery" that I finally found the exact rational, logical and brutally honest answer I was looking for. I cannot thank you enough. Best of luck in your journey!!!

cappy11448
on 7/3/13 9:41 am

Hi,

I am glad you are getting moving on your WLS again.  I think you will be so glad you did it, once your weight starts falling and you feel healthier. 

For vitamins, I take 4 Bariatric Fusion vitamins a day - that meets the requirements for all the vitamins I need.  I could take the different vitamins separately, but taking just one is simpler and appeals to me.

I think the monitoring of blood levels for me will be twice a year or once a year.  I'm not quite sure.

I found that the sleeve really changed my relationship with food.  I no longer feel that compulsion to eat.  In fact, I have to watch it or I'll forget to eat.  I'm 2 months post op and it may change  eventually, but right now it is bliss to be free of that compulsion.

When I started the WLS process, I decided if I was going to do it, I would do it right.  No sense doing something as radical as removing a large part of the stomach if I wasn't really committed.  My pre-op weight loss was very effective, and I also questioned whether I needed the surgery.  But I realized that weight loss wasn't the problem - maintaining the weight loss is the hard part.  The sleeve makes it easier to stay on track.  I decided to go ahead and I am so happy I did.

I don't know about carbonated drinks.  I suspect that once your tummy is fully healed, you could try it and drink it if it doesn't hurt.  Coffee is allowed - thank goodness.  I can't drink as much of it post-surgery, but I do enjoy what I can.

Best wishes on your weight-loss journey.  Its an adventure.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

pineview01
on 7/3/13 9:51 am - Davison, MI

That shows how different programs are.  Neither are allowed with ours.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

megan1emma2lilly3
on 7/3/13 10:11 am - dartmouth, Canada

looking for any information I can get on trying to get my insurance company, manulife financial and/or MSI to pay for gastric sleeve live in halifax NS and wanting to go to Montreal

any help at all is welcome

pineview01
on 7/3/13 11:38 am - Davison, MI

megan1emma2lilly3
on 7/3/13 11:48 am - dartmouth, Canada

Thank you so much!

Heather

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views