KnowledgeBook: Cooking --- A cooking app with absolutely no recipes.

Calking
on 7/7/13 2:52 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I am not much of a cook and was thinking that there may be some of you out there that have these same questions.  I found an Android app and it is also an iPhone app as well.  It might just have that bit of information that you are needing.

It may fall under the realm of cooking for dummies but perhaps not.

From the Google play store I copied this quote ...

"A cooking app with absolutely no recipes. Instead, KnowledgeBook: Cooking contains all the little bits of information and rules of thumb that you need to really use and understand your recipes -- what can be substituted for buttermilk or baking soda in a pinch, how many bananas it takes to make 1 cup of slices, how many cups are in a pint, what temperature an oven should be set to if the recipe calls for a "moderately hot" oven, etc.

KnowledgeBook: Cooking compiles all this information in one place, and adds much more: what can be substituted for buttermilk if you don't have vinegar? How many US cups are in an Imperial pint? (or an Australian pint?) What does it mean to papillote something? How should a slow cooker recipe be adjusted at high altitude? What temperature in Fahrenheit does Gas Mark 6 on a British stove correspond to?

With sections for Yields and Equivalents (including canning yields), Substitutions, general cooking terms, Measurement conversions, and High-Altitude considerations, KnowledgeBook: Cooking aims to be a one-stop reference for all the "extra" information needed to help you understand your recipes and get to Cooking!"

Here is the link for the android version ... 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.portablek. knowledgebook.cooking

Here is the link for the iPhone version ...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cooking/id405065324

Hope that this helps someone out.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

bob-h
on 7/7/13 9:20 pm - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12

Thanks. Just installed it on my I-pad. 

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

Calking
on 7/8/13 4:44 am
VSG on 05/31/12

I hope that this proves useful.  I know that the majority of people in this forum are women and that having been overweight probably did get the whole cooking thing down and probably know most of this stuff but I have always done very little or limited things in cooking.  

I have always been the kind of man that if I could do it easily in very few and easily understood steps then that was my dinner.  Even to this day I tend to cook that way.  I am hoping this helps me as well.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views