Under-eating one's sleeve (...after a period of overindulgence)

horrible_monster
on 7/11/13 10:24 am
VSG on 02/27/13

I've lost the plot a bit over the last couple weeks, due mostly to my own ****iness. ("SURE I can handle eating three meals a day at restaurants during my in-laws' visit! SURE I can eat that much steak; that's not so much steak--who needs to measure stuff? SURE I'll eat all the fruit in the world; what harm could it possibly due?" Etc.)

Doing much better now that I'm left to my own devices, and I learned some valuable lessons about preparing oneself for things like visiting family--and not taking it for granted that I can just "eyeball" the correct amount of food every time.

But, as I struggle to get back into the hydration-protein-vitamins-exercise routine, I'm finding myself feeling kind of...lost? I know I need to make it a priority to attend some support group meetings, but the reality is I probably won't be able to do that for a while. What I'd love is to read how successful post-ops are "under-eating" their sleeves. Any writings on returning to good behavior from a "prodigal"/overeating period would be especially helpful. Have any links for me? Or care to spell out what's been working for you? 

A simple reassurance that I haven't Ruined Everything and can still be a Good Patient would help, too. Thanks!

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/13 10:45 am

At not even 6 months out, I doubt that you have ruined anything. What you've certainly done is allowed the sugar back in ( most fruit = very high in sugar content) and though you didn't mention it, I'm guessing other carbs - a bite here or there while the in laws were visiting, perhaps?

Many of us have been down that same path at one time or another during this journey. What you have to do is pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get on program NOW!

Cold hard truth: You need to detox from the carbs. Eating all the fruit in the world has increased you carb load and now you're just going to have to bite the bullet and cut them out.

Here is what I do anytime I need to tweak my program (meaning I've put on a few pounds):

80-100 grams protein per day, 40 carbs or fewer each day (I'm talking total carbs, not net!), pound the water down 64 oz is MINIMUM!, cut my calories to XXXX (for you, I'm going to recommend 600-700 per day). I eat 4 to 5 meals per day. I also make sure I maintain my exercise which is at least 1 hour per day, 5 days per week. (Note: you can lose the weight without the exercise, but adding exercise has benefits for the body that weight loss alone cannot provide and it adds to your weight loss over the long haul.)

I will also tell you that at 19+ months out I still weigh and measure everything (well, practically everything) and log my food daily on Livestrong.com. I also weigh myself each and every day. Doing those three things allow me to know how to adjust if something is not working.

Now go fix your program and get on track. You can do this. It isn't always easy, but this is the way it is. We all have to work at this every day. It's just the way our lives are. But let me tell you this: It sure as hell a lot more fun watching what I eat as a healthy thin person that can do so many things than it was as a morbidly obese person who couldn't take his dog for a walk!

horrible_monster
on 7/11/13 3:28 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

Good advice, good advice. 

The carb thing really was pretty much just fruit; I was good about avoiding bread, chips, etc. I can't think of anything else I ate that was sugary even while they were here. So I'm not actually jonesing for carbs TOO badly (no more so than usual, at any rate) but will definitely be watching that going forward. 

You are correct that I need to up my exercise, too. Why must the prospect of working out be so unappealing when it's most necessary? Oh well; once I start I'll remember I don't hate it.

Esquared
on 7/11/13 4:04 pm - CA
VSG on 06/06/13

I am a total newb, and my advice is likely of little value, so I am just here to cheer you on. You are going to rock this thing from here on out - you've already accepted the fact that a change is needed, so you're golden. I also found this happy "eyeballing" link for you, just in case you're out: weird portion pictures!

- Horrible Monster Fan

"I am what I am not yet." - Maxine Greene

horrible_monster
on 7/11/13 4:38 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

Aw, thank you for all the kind words!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views