Cleanses and Colon Health for VSG?

starry957
on 7/14/13 9:57 pm

I'm asking here because, frankly, I feel like the Nut/Nurse at my clinic isn't so up on this issue with regards to VSG patients.

I hope I'm not the only one, but, the "ongoing" bathroom issues continue (though somewhat improved) but issues re: constipation recur easily and if I don't stay on top of things daily.  My concern is, after 6  months of it now...how healthy are my bowels, etc?  My thinking is that the high high protein/low carb (thus, low fibre) does and is doing a number on things down there.  I worry about damage (current or permanent?) and wondered if others have tried any particular cleanses or products for "colon/digestive health"..?  I have no idea what to look for and what is or is not safe for VSGrs?

I know there are capsule products I have seen at the pharmacy - that put the good bacteria in, etc...but I have no idea what is good or not???

Any thoughts, experience or feedback would be great!

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/13 10:29 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
I still do Miralax daily and I'm over a year out. My protein level is usually around 120 grams a day and even with adding in fiber it didn't help. Plus, I diverticulitis before the surgery and I certainly don't want that pain to come back.
71dart
on 7/15/13 4:49 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
My first six months was a problem and I took Miralax "as needed." My surgeon suggested Miralax daily at my six month appt. No problems since then.

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/13 6:48 am

Colon cleanses are a total waste of money and unsafe.  They tend to mess with your electrolytes.

starry957
on 7/15/13 7:08 am

Thanks...I just wasn't sure if there were products out there that would help repair what I assume has been damaged due to 6 months of low fibre and high protein and bathroom issues.  I wasn't even sure about cleanses, but any other products that might be helpful.  I sure don't want to be taking things to "assist" to go to the bathroom for much longer....it just isn't healthy.

A. Kondrlik
on 7/15/13 7:48 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I think that alot of the colon cleanses are snake-oilish.  I too at almost 6 months our have had issues, which got much worse when I increased my protein to over 90 gms a month ago. I most days drink metamucil, this week I started taking 2 senna-S stool softeners at bedtime and fingers crossed things are better.  I also take a probiotic tab daily and eat yogurt most days. I would love to eat more veggies, but there is just no more room. I worry about becoming reliant on laxatives, but I need them right now.  I am hoping things will get better as time progresses.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

sleevegirl
on 7/15/13 10:42 am - Austin, TX

I had problems before surgery and definitely after. Avoid laxatives, but stool softeners are fine. Usually Miralax daily is fine. It's basically a supplement for me now.

I add Colace when I need something extra.

I did do a colon cleanse a few weeks ago because I was getting backed up and the stool softeners and MOM weren't doing the trick. I use Oxy-Powder. I'm sure they are a waste, but that one has always helped when I need to be "cleaned out" for lack of a better term. It's reasonably gentle and doesn't give me stomach aches like MOM. I usually do it for four days, not the full week.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

starry957
on 7/15/13 1:50 pm

So, you still are taking things to help things...move along.  Is Colace a prescription? 

sleevegirl
on 7/15/13 1:53 pm - Austin, TX

I've been on Miralax for 3-4 years, even before my VSG, so yes. I'm still doing that every morning.

Colace is the brand name for Docusate Sodium, it's over the counter like Miralax. I'm doing two of those per day right now, BUT that is only because I'm taking narcotics for back pain.

Usually the Miralax does it's job :)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

pineview01
on 7/15/13 2:17 pm - Davison, MI

I am 6 months out and take 2 stool softeners (colace-store brand) a day, you can take up to three.  I also take the bacteria that is in Activia!

I too did a Colon cleanse two weeks ago.  I was stopped up and started to gain when numbers were the same.  I only took 1/2 the dose that I would pre-surgery and it worked twice as well.  I also only did a week instead of the 14 days.  I felt so much better after I was done.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views