Negativity

teachernikki
on 7/16/13 6:47 am - Lewiston, ME

I am a teacher and I did tell my whole staff at the end of the school year that I was having surgery to avoid any people talking about me behind my back or wondering why I was losing weight so quickly. I still feel my decision was the best and I dont regret it. However, most people continue to tell me that they know people who have had surgery and gained all of their weight back. I wont lie, this is my fear. I think it is always in the back of everyone's mind. I am just annoyed with it. My assistant principal even said something to me today while serving on an interview committee. I know they all mean well, but I am tired of hearing about it. If I gain the weight back, its my fault. Ugh. Just annoyed. End rant.

HW: 330 ~  SW: 312 ~ CW: 282

VSG on 06/12/13
I'm sorry to hear this. This is one of the reasons I am keeping it to myself.
I'll be curious to see if others have come up with snappy replies.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Jennifer L.
on 7/16/13 7:35 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I am like you, keeping it to myself. If people ask how I lost weight, low carb, high protein, and working out... because I WILL be doing those things. lol So its not lying. I just dont need people thinking their ignorant assumptions that I took the easy way and talking about gaining weight back

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

Bloodshotbetty
on 7/16/13 7:24 am - minneapolis, MN

I dealt with that as well.  Just acknowledge that that happens and say you are willing to make the necessary life long changes and hopeful that you will continue to find the strength to do so.

-Alycia-

Jennifer L.
on 7/16/13 7:34 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I am so sorry... For starters, they need to be educated. Yes, people CAN gain weight back if they dont change behaviors. It is a tool, not a fix all. It annoys me that people assume we think it will "cure" everything and be a magic button. There is no such thing! This surgery is a tool to help us... even if the weight does creep back on, we will ALWAYS have this tool to help us get back on track! Plus, things have changed in bariatric surgery over the last several years. It just annoys me that once you have surgery, people think they have the right to talk about your weight or others weight like that. Its sort of like being pregnant, when people think it is suddenly ok to rub your stomach and talk about your private parts (people who you barely know!) only because a baby is in there. lol It's almost a similar thing... its as if people think its ok for them to give their 2cent. 

End my rant. lol

I am just so sorry you have to go through all of this. Just prove them wrong! Don't allow their negativity to make you feel like you wont succeed, because you have the power to work this tool! I believe in you! 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

A. Kondrlik
on 7/16/13 7:48 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Everyone I work with knows I had surgery.  I feel like because they are all "watching" me, it helps with my accountability.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

acbbrown
on 7/16/13 7:53 am - Granada Hills, CA

Amen to this. There's always an upside to the negativity.

Sometimes I think the social pressure to prove all the naysayers wrong is the only thing that keeps from gaining all my weight back lol.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

A. Kondrlik
on 7/16/13 8:03 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Absolutely! They watch every bite I eat.  I have had people say to me "I'll be watching you".   :)  They were not really negative before I had  surgery, just incredulous that I would go through the surgery.  I have to show them I made the right decision.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

serenity1959
on 7/16/13 7:57 am
VSG on 08/05/13

Statistically speaking, those of us who have had bariatric surgery tend to have a better chance of keeping the lost weight off.

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/13 8:17 am
VSG on 06/04/12
First off, very nice to see a fellow Mainer! I was actually down your way last weekend and had dinner at da Vinci's, my favorite Italian restaurant. They make a very sleeve friendly antipasto salad, although it translates to about 3 meals! As far as your concerns, a few things. First, once your losses start becoming noticeable they'll start talking about how great you look, not about regain. Second, at some point your surgery will be old news. Be prepared, however, for it to remain a hot topic for a while. I normally say something along the lines of, "A lot of factors need to be considered to be successful with wls, and I've made changes to ensure I remain healthy for the long term." Or, for really special people, "Do you think that comment was constructive?"
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views