Walkers / Runners

Vanessa_M
on 7/20/13 10:17 pm

This is a question for those of you that walk / run for your daily exercise.  I got an app called Map My Walk.  It uses a GPS to bascially - map your walk.  It gives you your pace, your splits, inclines, total distance and calories burned.  I also track everything on MFP.  What I noticed is that when I put the same time and whatnot into MFP as MMW, the calorie burn is different.  Sometimes its significant.  Which would you trust?  MFP is often close to what the treadmill says, but MMW doesn't work inside so I can't compare it to the treadmill.

This question may be circuitous, but essentially, which would you trust - My Fitness Pal or something that tracks you GPS-ly (not a word, I know!)?

Thanks and enjoy your Sunday!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

gorditabonita
on 7/20/13 10:30 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

My GPS watch does the same thing as your app and you are right, the calorie numbers are significantly different. I always go by my watch, the lower number. I try to not eat my exercise calories back, so for me, it really makes little difference except to give me a bigger ego boost. Either way, we are moving right?!? I would just pick one and be consistent.  

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Vanessa_M
on 7/20/13 10:36 pm
My GPS is always higher so I use the MFP calories. You're right, its definitely an ego boost! I try to get more protein on the days I exercise (I don't know why I do it). But other than that, I don't eat back my calories.
Have a great day!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

lunarose
on 7/21/13 6:20 am - Newhall, CA

I used a Bodybugg which uses GPS. The treadmill runs at a set speed when you are out walking or running your rate does fluctuates going up a hill you go slower down faster. I don't think the GPS is accurate if you climb a hill and turn around and go back down the same way you went up but overall I thought it was accurate and would trust that

Vanessa_M
on 7/21/13 8:13 am
Thanks!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

reneemosley
on 7/22/13 1:22 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12

I have used a fit bit and run keeper for a year and considered them accurate. I recently purchased an HRM and i believe for true calorie tracking it is the only way to go. MFP is way off in calorie counts, way too high.

What really counts is consistency keep walking every day and eventually you will run a marathon!

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views