Acid Reflux?

hannahp
on 7/21/13 4:57 am - MS

I have never had any problems with any kind of heartburn or acid reflux. However, for the past 2 days I have had horrible acid reflux. I guess that is what it is? It's a burning sensation in my throat?

I have taken Zantac which is what my surgeon told me to take should I have any problems but it doesn't seem to be helping. 

I know it is a common side effect of this surgery but what do yall do to help calm it down?

Hannah, 25

VSG: July 3, 2013

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." -C.S. Lewis

mickeymantle
on 7/21/13 5:38 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13
Itl takes like a day to work

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

hannahp
on 7/21/13 8:11 am - MS

Zantac works after 30 min. Or is supposed to, ha. 

Hannah, 25

Tracy D.
on 7/21/13 7:29 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If it doesn't calm down after a couple days of taking the meds make sure to call your doctor and get something else.   It took trying 4 different medications before we hit on one that actually did the trick.  

Other tips:  1) don't lay down immediately after drinking or eating, 2) finish up all eating a couple hours before bed, 3) sleep propped up if you need to or elevate the head of your bed, 3) if you've just started hard proteins you may need to back off of them for awhile until everything calms down.  

Good luck with this - reflux is a b*tch! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

hannahp
on 7/21/13 8:11 am - MS

Thanks for your suggestions. I will def be trying these!

Hannah, 25

Calking
on 7/21/13 7:40 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Actually Zantac shouldn't take a day to work.  That is true of Prilosec (Omeprazole) and Prevacid.  What strength of Zantac are you using?  If on the 75mg then take two or you can just take the one 150mg.  

I have managed with Zantac 150mg but that does take about half an hour to kick in.  My surgeon recommended also for a more immediate relief to use Gaviscon.  I have used the chewable Gaviscon (I get the generic at Walmart as it is cheap ... like about $4 for a 100 tablet bottle)  Also happen to get the Walmart brand of Zantac as it is also $4 for a 60 tablet supply).  I basically would take a Zantac 150 about half hour prior to eating something I thought could be an issue and if I had anything going on after the meal would take the Gaviscon.  Between the two of these I managed all issues.

Most people seem to do well taking the omeprazole (Prilosec) once a day as it is easier and seems to work for most people.  

I have mentioned this before and will again ... I am not a doctor and don't like to advise taking anything without clearing it with your surgeon.  That being said I am not really that uncomfortable with these recommendations as these are not NSAIDs and I don't think you can have any issues with these unless you are over dosing them which is true of anything you take.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

hannahp
on 7/21/13 8:10 am - MS

I have been taking 75mg but took 2 today so 150.

I may try prilosec once a day and see what happens. 

I will call my doctor if it doesn't settle down.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hannah, 25

abbeycat43
on 7/21/13 10:24 am - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

Are you having the issue at all times during the day or only at bedtime?  I found out really fast that I couldn't drink or eat anything about two hours before bed...as mentioned by Tracy above...I stop at about 8 and don't have a bit of trouble now.

Also, if you use MFP to track your food, make notes of what times of day you have the symptoms, maybe it is something you are eating...

hannahp
on 7/21/13 1:43 pm - MS

it comes at different times. today, it was burning when i woke up.

im gonna use MFP to track it down. good idea.

Hannah, 25

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views