When should I expect stalls?

thisisntme
on 7/22/13 3:33 pm

What are the normal times when people hit stalls?

~V

HW 278 SW 225 (6/3/12)  CW 211 Dr GW 172 my GW 138

thisisntme
on 7/22/13 3:36 pm
pineview01
on 7/22/13 3:46 pm - Davison, MI

I know almost all of us in our Jan group had one at ~3 week and again around 4/5 months.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Vickie R.
on 7/22/13 9:35 pm - Saint Amant, LA

I had my first one at 3 weeks but just stick to the plan, you will start losing again.  Good Luck!

5'8" / HW 278 / SW 252 / GW 150

Jackie T.
on 7/23/13 12:35 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Everyone's bodies are different.  I didn't have my first one until four to five weeks and then at five to six months.  I don't know that I would even call them stalls.  I am a stair step loser, I will lose several pounds and then I will go a week or more with no change and then I will drop again.  My body is adjusting to the loses and then it starts again.

I have seen others that said they never stalled.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

sleevegirl
on 7/23/13 1:06 am - Austin, TX

Expect them when you least expect. LOL!

For me, it varied, I did hit a nice run where I would stall/lose/stall/lose/stall/lose. Really, it just happens when your body decides to.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/13 2:08 am

The three week one is the most common, the rest will happen on their own schedule.  The trick with stalls is to manage your expectations and stay the course.  Measure you success by your compliance to your program rather than by the scale.  Keep doing what works and eventually the weight will fall off of you.

Carmelita
on 7/23/13 5:26 am, edited 7/23/13 5:26 am - Four Corners, NM

hmm..well over 5 years on OH  sure don't have to be bat **** blind to see, know common classic stall periods are real, quite defined and to be expected....our 1st year    Stalls  +/- one to two weeks out from surgery...is

the INFAMOUS 3 week post op stall....totally unbreakable! I figure dietary and physical restrictions so soon outta surgery too prevent us from breakin this major mindf***  that's why this stall sucks the most....enough fear to send the new post op into a "this surgery isn't going to work for me, my surgeon didn't make my sleeve correctly,made my stomach too large, s/ he's an incompetent idiot, Im a FAILURE again" thoughts...this 3 week stall has caused a MAJOR flood of posts on this board....since Ive been here scroll back even a few months.  

Just like HAIR LOSS phase posts bein sooo common post VSG...omg for us gals..(male VSGrs don't care as much!) those hair loss posts may even beat out the 3 week stall posts...lmao. ..that common too... but nothin beats all the AMAZING stories of thousands of us going to hundreds of different bariatrics surgeons...with AMAZING life changing, life enhancing and lifesaving...stories since we had VSG!  Don't even come close!   

Other STALLS to be expected +/- a week or two out from surgery  

3,6,9 month post op stalls.... can break those much more easily...from 1-2 weeks max vs. prolonging them month+   

If you start out SMO... may experience stalls periods into 2 years.  catabolism -lipolysis/hydrolysis -fat breakdown while continuing to work YOUR individual program...err re-programming ,-)

Measurement logs are very important.  I week before or 1 week after VSG for baseline.  During stalls note we're losin inches ..concrete evidence your sleeve is indeed working.  Head to toe measurement logs...feet width, finger width, head width n everything in between...head to toe! Those numbers WILL save your sanity as you go into and out of stalls.    

Yes STALLS do indeed PASS!!  can ride it out 'stay the course', can prolong em, can break em sooner than later...either way THEY DO PASS!     Its a stair step DESCENT for the majority of us ..NOTE the word DESCENT...we lose ..we flatten out....we lose...we flatten out.....down down each step to our personal WL goals.  Totally normal.

You can flog a dead horse stayin the course, beat yerself silly for eating a piece of cake at your childs 1st birthday party...but THEY WILL INDEED PASS...down to that next burn phase step  

If you never experience this phenomena called a stall/s...more power to you...but you are NOT the NORM post VSG.   Same as in "common" Hair Loss phase...ya never have this hormonal induced devastating phase....more power to you...but you are NOT the NORM post VSG.  

This is an INDIVIDUAL journey....YMMV (your mileage may vary) ..comparing yours to anothers and expecting the same result...is ZOMBIE brain-dead thinking. lmao..  We all will walk your own walk across that finish line. No magic formula, no recipe to follow....you create your own recipe post VSG...the caloric/surgical restriction with VSG sets it all in motion. We're not eating massive quantities of calories anymore...VSG Hopefully wise up to HEALTHY WHOLE NUTRITIOUS FOODS....vs eating so much CRAP...however you define CRAP. 

VSG success is all based on YOU, your needs, what works for you, your desires to "get there", you get what you give.   NOTHING about VSG is ETCHED in STONE like the stall periods I posted.. ..we're all individuals savin our own lives, creatin our own futures..   

NOTHING about VSG , or any WLS is STANDARDIZED no magic formulas, no recipe to meet ALL the needs of ALL VSGrs.   

The ONLY thing "standardized" in the US regarding VSG ... is AMA/AMSBS guidelines on how our sleeves are to be made Guidelines every bariatric surgeon MUST abide by.  Like all guidelines our surgeons are given by AMA/ASMBS, we're given post op...variations occur within em.  We work within in.   

LMAO!!....so this isn't quite the one line reply to your ?  you "expected" is it lmao!!  ...a leopard can't change its spots...its my OH m.o....so shoot me or block me! lmao!!   

Thisis... hopin ya don't experience a stall....cuz  even though 'normal' they sure are bothersome to the post VSG soul...but yeah most definately...expect em! 

califsleevin
on 7/23/13 3:45 pm - CA

The classic third week stall is the only one that has any physiological timing associated with it, and the clock starts ticking when you start your weight loss effort whether that's at time of surgery or starting with a pre-op diet. Here is a great article that describes what's happening at that time:

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

Any other stalls that you may have, as noted by others, will come whenever they feel like it. Our long term loss, and rate of loss, is largely determined by our average caloric deficit - calories burned by our resting metabolism plus activity/exercise burn less what we ingest. The short term stair steps that we experience - the size of the steps and stalls, is largely determined by our water retention and hydration As Diana notes in the linked article, restoring the depleted glycogen involves around eight pounds of water, plus the couple pounds of glycogen. Other common sources for water retention issues are hormones - TOM for the ladies and everyone will be subject to overall variations in different hormones that have been stored in the fat that we are losing, exercise and activity variations as the body builds or loses muscle tissue, dietary considerations particularly sodium as found in restaurant and processed foods, and medications, to name a few of the most common issues out of dozens of different mechanisms that influence water retention.

I am one of those who didn't really stall in this whole process (a stall by my accounting being a week without loss,) including the dreaded third week stall. Speculatively this is because I didn't use an excessively low carb diet, so my glycogen levels never totally depleted and I fairly smoothly shifted into fat burning mode around that third week and continued to merrily burn glycogen and fat at a more consistently sustainable rate.There was certainly a notable slow down in the rate of loss around that third week, as would be expected as fat burns more slowly relative to glycogen. Note that this shows that one does not have to be "in ketosis" or use any particular style of diet to attain "fat burning mode".

Technically, I did have one week in there when I didn't lose, which was during a week of travel to maintain our future retirement home. Despite similar intake and overall activity levels (everything logged, of course!) through a combination of more restaurant meals and altered activity/exercise regimen, I typically gain 3-4 lb over trend during that week and then lose that weight the next week when I return to normal routine. This is a well established pattern that I have had during pre-op, post-op and maintenance phases (sort of my guy-type "TOM") so that predictability sort of damps out the panic and wonderment many have when confronted with a stall or minor short term gain.

Having some idea of the things that are going on with us helps (the geek in me, at least) deal with the stair stepping and bumps along the way in this journey, as frustrating as it may sometimes be when not seeing the scale move in the right direction all the time.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 67 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views