Rationalizing with myself... do you do this?

bhern
on 7/23/13 3:46 am
DS on 01/21/14

I’m trying really hard to stay focused and stick to my plan today, but my head keeps saying, “hey lets try this" or “one bite won’t hurt" and “we’ll just do an extra 20 minutes at the gym". 

What excuses do you tell yourself and how do you deal with it?

HW 407 * SW 359 * TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS-TO-DATE.... 

themexcellentone
on 7/23/13 3:53 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

We just talked about this in group last week!

One of the things we talked about was thinking about each of those statements as being rational/irrational, true/untrue.

"One bite won't hurt" - is it rational?  Is it true?  How will it help your progress?  Kind of like that.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

bhern
on 7/23/13 3:59 am
DS on 01/21/14

I know they're just excuses I tell myself.  One bite probably won't hurt, but I probably won't stop at one bite. I'll most likely have 2 or 3. So, I'm not even going to go there. I've been good so far, I just get up and walk around (I have a desk job) and make myself a cup of herbal tea. I was just curious what others do to handle situations like this. I know I'm not alone on this.

Thank you for your input!

Sarah W.
on 7/23/13 7:16 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
How are you being tempted if you are at your desk? Is your office a food pusher office?

Hey I get it, we had an ice cream social today and because I've tried to go before and hang out socially with my co-workers and water bottle in tow and say "no thanks I'm good" or "maybe later" 100's of times today I just wasn't feeling like I could resist so I didn't go. Didn't miss it and when the "cart" came around for anyone who might have missed the opportunity to go downstairs, I only had to say no once!

I'd look at the environment and see what is there that's tempting you. Do you want to let that have power over you?

You have to also believe the payoff of delayed gratification is worth it over any potential "damage" your behavior choice will cause.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

bhern
on 7/23/13 9:09 am
DS on 01/21/14

That is a good question Sarah. It seems there are always cookies or donuts in the break room and candy dishes in most of the offices. They just seem to call my name. Even with my door closed and the radio on I can hear them. lol ...however,  I did very well today. I resisted them all. The first 6 months or so post-op was a breeze. I was not tempted at all. I need to get that will power back and that mind set that food can not control me anymore. I don't go to support groups because there are none in my area. My surgeons group is 3 hours away, so I'm glad that I have the support of people like you here on OH.

jenn227
on 7/23/13 4:01 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Ah, I think we all have that mutant gene!  But I try and really examine WHY I want to eat (insert whatever it is here).  Am I bored, stressed, etc?  Am I falling back into old habits?  I try very hard to pretty much plan out my meals and stick to certain portions, but being on vaca last week I was way less stringent.  I was actually kind of relieved to be "back on duty" this week!  At least you're examining your behavior now! 

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

bekahler
on 7/23/13 4:19 am - Parkville, MD

A wise old timer Brandilynn who sadly no longer is on the board but her advice is still good used to say this "rationalization is like mastrubation...you're only ******g yourself!" (Actually I think that was her Granny's line, but you get the point!)

Just some words to think on....

"There are no Strangers Here, Only Unmet Friends" ~Helen Keller        

bhern
on 7/23/13 4:21 am
DS on 01/21/14

Thank you.. that's an interesting way of putting it I guess. LoL

Nancybefree
on 7/23/13 5:43 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Some of that is starting to creep into my thinking.  It comes in the form of, oh, go ahead, throw a few more slices of turkey pepperoni in with meal, stuff like that.  I seriously had to talk myself out of eating a chicken nugget the other night.  Months ago that kind of thinking barely entered my brain, but at 8 months out I guess it's here. 

I'm fighting it.  I don't want to have to log that extra turkey pepperoni or, God forbid, that chicken nugget.  These last 20-something pounds are coming off slowly enough as it is.  I want to get to that revised goal weight, if not lower, and I remind myself that cheating in my food plan isn't going to help. 

Coming on here and reading posts is very helpful.  Reading those nutritional labels and keeping it real is another tactic.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

MayPenGirl
on 7/23/13 6:18 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

I'm currently reading The Beck Diet Solution.  This book address a lot of emotional and mental issues that we have with food.  Dr. Beck wants us to learn how to go from thinking "I wish I could eat this" and us feeling sad to "I'm so glad I did not eat that" and us feeling happy that we made the right choice. 

She tries to make us identify the triggers that evoke sabotaging thoughts.  That way we can try to minimize our exposure to the triggers or change the way we respond to them.

Right after my surgery I used to be a little upset that I couldn't eat certain foods that my family were eating.  But know I'm like "Even though I can eat those foods, losing weight is more important and I don't want to derail my progress just to eat  [insert your favorite bad food here].

It's hard but it's SO worth it.

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views