Am I supposed to stop losing or should I keep going

Nancy T.
on 7/23/13 5:44 am - Canada

I am now 11 months post-op and I am down 95 lbs.  My goal was 150...I am fluctuating between 157-160 since April.  I am wondering if this is where I should be.  A combination of people telling me not to lose more and I convinced myself that I am good now and dont need to lose anymore.  But here is the reality, I stopped tracking and kinda went back to my old life minus the portions of course and seem to not be gaining.  I don't want to fall into the "****y" attutude that I won't gain it back and I am questioning if I should keep losing while my tool is fresh.  Any advise would be appreciated.  I

akr9911
on 7/23/13 5:57 am
VSG on 06/20/13

I am hearkening back to some of the Biggest Loser episodes when I read your post. On the one hand, you've done amazing and you should be proud of yourself, and frankly 157-160 is a really nice number. On the other hand, you set a goal and what does it say about you TO YOU if you don't strive for it. So mentally, I think you should go for the 150. And physically too - I'd go for the 150 and live life there for a while and see if it feels arbitrarily too low. If it does, you can work on a conscious plan to add a few pounds back. Wouldn't that just be a kick in the pants?

HW 259 SW 251 CW 217 M1-20.5 M2 -7.5 M3 -4 M4 -2

Nancy T.
on 7/23/13 6:19 am - Canada

Ya I'm thinking if I get to 150 it will give me that room between 150-160 where I am comfortable.  I do need a kick in the ass and get to that Goal Number !

Nancybefree
on 7/23/13 6:29 am
VSG on 11/21/12

How tall are you? 

Congratulations on your progress!  I'll be very curious to read the answers you get from vets.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Nancy T.
on 7/23/13 6:32 am - Canada

I am 5'6 ....ya I would be interested in seeing what vets have to say

emelar
on 7/23/13 6:45 am - TX

If you want to see the number, then get back on track and go for it.  At some point, we all have to figure out both how far down we want to go and whether we can maintain the lifestyle to keep our weight at that point.  If your lifestyle and weight have you happy right now, then it's time to quit.  If you want to push a little further down, there's nothing stopping you.

LVeronica
on 7/23/13 10:13 pm

The hard truth is that most people gain back some of the weight they loose.  It is still a lot better than never loosing any at all, but long term optimal weight loss certainly seems to require continued vigilance.  Loosing as much as possible (within the ideal body weight range for your frame and muscle mass of course) certainly seems to make sense to me, since over time, the clear tendancy is to regain a portion of the weight you have lost. 

Nancy T.
on 7/23/13 10:26 pm - Canada

Good point Veronica...if I don't lose it now it will get harder the further out that I get.  I am on diet today and back on track will keep you all posted :)

tigerbelle
on 7/23/13 11:03 pm - LA
VSG on 05/06/13

I don't see where anybody asked this:  how do you feel physically, health-wise?  I plan to focus on that and not so much a goal of weight loss...if you feel healthy and have resolved any health problems from pre-surgery (like high blood pressure or diabetes)...if you are physically fit and in-shape..if you like the way your clothes fit you...if all of those are a "yes," then I would say you have met your goal .......and congrats on your success angry

sleevegirl
on 7/23/13 11:39 pm - Austin, TX

Friends and family are well-meaning, but they aren't used to seeing you where you are and you look too skinny. I deal with this myself a good bit. I'm floating between 150-155 right now. Plastics guy says I have another 10 pounds in skin. I figure that's about where I want to be.

At the end of the day, it's about YOU and what YOU can live with long term and if YOU feel good. Spend some time with that, think it through and see what you come out with.

Me? I'd honestly love to lose another 10 pounds just to have a bounce back, but I'm not willing to do the work right now. I know my tool is there, helping me maintain and it will be there again if I decide to drop a little more in the coming months/years. Right now, I'm comfortable where I am.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 354 views