Carbs

teachernikki
on 7/27/13 2:00 pm - Lewiston, ME

Hi everyone! I have quite an extensive weight loss binder from my program but I cannot find anywhere where it tell me how many grams of carbs I should be having daily. In the starchy section, it includes breads, pastas, potatoes, crackers etc...just saying between 3 and 5 servings a day. 

I am 4 1/2 weeks out from surgery, but I dont know where I should be keeping my carbs at/under. I havent had anything crazy, except for once, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Nikki

HW: 330 ~  SW: 312 ~ CW: 282

PrincessPR
on 7/27/13 2:12 pm
VSG on 12/17/13

My NUT said no calorie or carb counting. Only protein. She said if I'm doing protein first, then I'll be okay. I know every surgeon is different. Could your Dr have a similar plan and that's why it's nit in your binder??

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

VSG on 06/12/13
My doc said the same!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

AmyInOrlando
on 7/27/13 2:56 pm - Orlando, FL

Fill that tiny sleeve with protein and veggies and you won't have room for anything else. enlightened

Highest weight 272,  Weight on day of Gastric Sleeve 195, Goal weight 120, current weight 115.6

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/27/13 4:37 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Check with your surgeon's office for clarification. I have to say, though, that they must be looking at VERY small grain portions if they think you'll be able to eat 4-5 per day.

My surgeon's plan expects me to get in 75g of protein per day, then divide the rest of my calories roughly in half between fat and healthy carbs. (Fruit, veg & whole grains)

I don't actually count carb grams, but rather focus on getting in my water, protein and fibre, and working toward 25-30 grams of fat. If you're doing well of water, protein, fibre and fat - and keeping your calories where they should be, the carbs will fall into line.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

sheranfour
on 7/27/13 10:27 pm, edited 7/27/13 10:28 pm

All that was said before me is true.

Every Doc is different...so you HAVE to call and ask.

Mine did a different plan of no more than 5 g of sugar in anything...but that didn't include fruits or veggies.

BUT since I've been here (11 months) I do what I learned here ( and my NUT is fine with this because I DID ask first) and that is: low end=20 grams- high end=40 grams.

HOWEVER= ALL FOCUS SHOULD BE ON PROTEIN AND WATER ...carbs last.kiss

Call YOUR team and get their info.

Peace

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
Tracy D.
on 7/28/13 1:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I can only reiterate what Deb just said:  protein and water are the focus!  My surgeon doesn't even want me asking about calories BUT he does want me to keep my carbs to 40 or below and my protein at 80 or higher.   I find with those parameters that my calories naturally fall anywhere from 650-800 per day.  It sometimes goes a little higher if I'm throwing in some avocado or a higher fat item but 90% of the time I'm in that range. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views