I just want to say "hi!"

Heather L.
on 7/27/13 1:26 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

I've been lurking for a few weeks and just thought I'd take a second to introduce myself before I start barging in on your discussions...

After struggling with my weight my entire life, and after never even considering WLS, I've now come to understand it's my last resort to get to a healthy weight before my weight kills me (or makes my day-to-day life unlivable).  I cried as I asked my doctor for a referral for surgery. Now, I just hope and wait for a call from the bariatic surgeon.  I could be waiting for two years, so I'm committed to spending that time learning all I can about life post-VSG so I am 110% ready to go once I get the call.

I'm 41 years old from Vancouver, BC, Canada.  At 5'3", the lowest weight I ever remember was 133lbs.  In fifth grade.  The next weight I recall clearly: 228lbs in ninth grade.  In my adult life, I've never gotten below 230lbs, and that was thanks to Fen-Phen.  My highest weight was 294lbs. Once I got that close to 300, I knew I wasn't going to be able to fix this on my own.

I have a terrible fear of excess skin which I'm certain a psychiatrist would say has contributed to my past weight loss failures.  I'm trying to retrain my brain to think of it as my badge of honour once I get to a healthy weight. Plus, I can always take out a loan to get it removed, right?  

I would love nothing more to get down to my fifth grade weight of 133lbs, and as that's right in the middle of a "normal" BMI for my height, I hope it's doable. But, honestly, I'd just be happy to weigh less than my boyfriend and father for the first time since puberty.

I'd never actually heard of VSG until earlier this year. I think the idea of having my intestines re-routed was what always took WLS off the table in my mind.  I much prefer the concept of the sleeve surgery as a solution. It's been heartening to read about so many of your successes with it and it gives me a lot of confidence that it will be a good tool for my journey.

I look forward to travelling this road with y'all. =)

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

great.lakes.girl.
on 7/27/13 1:38 am
Welcome I am fairly new here as well but everyone is great and there is a wealth of knowledge as well great compassionate people who post here .
Anne64
on 7/27/13 2:21 am
VSG on 06/19/13
Hello!
Congrats on your decision. I, like you had and have a fear of excess skin. But, fear of committing slow motion suicide finally trumped excess skin. This is a great place to find lots of vey different experiences. Buckle up!

Anne

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

lil1inside
on 7/27/13 2:37 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Welcome hessibell, you will learn so much in your research, and you'll be ready when the time comes!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Maria712
on 7/27/13 3:40 am - PA
VSG on 03/14/13
Welcome. I'm 4 and half months out and this is absolutely the best thing I could have done for myself. I once said I would never have WLS. I am so happy I did. It has been a life changing experience. Not everyday is sunshine and roses but at least I have less pain and can face the day stronger and healthier. I have lost 88 pounds so far and have found this board extremely helpful although I'm not a big poster on here. I don't know if you log your food or want to start doing that. For me it has been helpful and a good support. If so I am sphillygirll712 on there. Good luck with everything.
princesswimmer24
on 7/27/13 6:04 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Welcome!! Congrats on making a life changing decision!! I look forward to hearing about your progress. You will find all kinds of information and opinions here. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

CToddRobbins
on 7/27/13 10:08 am - NC
VSG on 07/25/13 with

You have already taken a huge step by calling the surgeon. I had my surgery 2 days ago and I'm so ready to begin the rest of my life!! Don't worry about the excess skin, that can always be removed. Just think of what is squeezing and choking your vital organs. You will find so much help and encouragement on this forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions and start the process now. Start to track your fluid and food intake using My Fitness Pal. Good luck!!!

HW 327 lbs   SW 294 lbs Surgeon's GW 210     My GW 190

akr9911
on 7/27/13 3:46 pm
VSG on 06/20/13

Welcome! I'm glad to meet you and am looking forward to traveling this road with you too!

HW 259 SW 251 CW 217 M1-20.5 M2 -7.5 M3 -4 M4 -2

Spencerella
on 7/28/13 7:30 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Welcome to the WLS community.  It's an incredibly supportive and informative place, so please hang out  and participate as you wish.  I had surgery (self-pay in Mx because I knew I'd wait forever here in Alberta) and I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I lost - and even maintained - lots of weight in the past, so really questioned whether VSG could change my life in the longer term.  I think it can. The restriction and lack of hunger is leveling the playing field for me, so that's what can give me lasting success.  One caveat though, I have to follow the simple 'rules'.  If I do that, I will be successful. 

One piece of advice for you though - all sleeves are not 'equal'. The wide variety of surgical techniques are related to the a ou t of restriction and the amount of hunger patients experience.  So be sure to thoroughly understand the differences in surgical approach/technique and ensure your chosen surgeon uses those that are most likely to set you up for success.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views