Scale

teachernikki
on 7/28/13 11:20 pm - Lewiston, ME

I havent stepped on my scale in close to a week. I will weigh in tomorrow, but I am scared the scale wont budge. I was being a serial scale-r and weighing myself 4 to 5 times a day and getting bummed out about not losing any pounds in a week. I know my TOM is coming rapidly and there is a good possibility I wont lose anything. I just dont want to be discouraged only 5 weeks out.

Ahhhh..."suck it up, buttercup!"

Happy Monday!

HW: 330 ~  SW: 312 ~ CW: 282

lil1inside
on 7/28/13 11:45 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

Everybody is different, I don't have a scale and will only be weighed at doctors appointments--this works for me and I know the weight will come off.  Some people like to keep track every day so they can catch certain things they've ate and change it--to me that sounds depressing, because I know there will be stalls along the way.  DON'T be discouraged either way!!  You will lose if you are sticking to plan and you will be a success!  

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

mdusha
on 7/29/13 12:45 am - FL
VSG on 12/07/12

I've found the whole scale thing to be all about how you frame it. I too had become rather compulsive about it, then finally stepped back and realized that wasn't sustainable for the long haul as it really wasn't good for my mental health lol.

So, I began to change the self-talk conversations I had with myself. I reminded myself that when the scale doesn't move, I'm losing inches (as long as I'm on plan). I also acknowledged that if I'm on plan, eating 650-800 cals a day, there's really no way I couldn't lose weight. So periodically, when the scale "misbehaves", I step back, give it the cold shoulder a few days, and when I return, it's time out has usually done the trick.

Maybe take the time to work on how you frame the whole scale issue...it might help!

Check out my blog at www.selfimageafterweightloss.com

megan.sherman
on 7/29/13 12:59 am
VSG on 05/17/14

I am pre-surgery and trying to lose the 10% that my insurance requires.  I too was weighing in far too often and getting discouraged.  I had my husband lock the scale in the trunk of his car so that I can't get to it!

My scale is also a little unreliable, I can stand on it 3 times and each time get a different reading, sometimes 3 or more pounds difference which adds to the stress level.  My doctor's office scale is the one that my success is measured by so I think I will just weigh in there from now on.  As long as I am doing what I'm supposed to be doing, the scale should be moving in the right direction.  It also doesn't help that my appointments seem to fall when my period is starting!

Good luck to you and keep up the great work.  :)

hopefulop
on 7/29/13 2:17 am

(I'm a quality control analytical lab tech so this is truly good advice!!! :D) scales of any kind have a "sweet spot" and consistency is the biggest factor when it comes to weighing something (even yourself) correctly.  One thing you could do to help keep yourself in the same spot each time you weigh is to put on a crappy pair of tall socks, take your scale outside on a solid and flat surface (sidewalk maybe as long as it is relatively level) put something under it so you don't get griped out by the city and spray paint over your feet when you find that spot that reads the best for you.  This will give you an outline that you can get your feet in every time. Also try to stand the same way every time.  Even your posture can dupe your results.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views