Insurance?

Annievvho
on 8/12/13 3:57 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13
So what's the process with insurance? I keep reading about people having to write letters and getting denied. Medically, I meet the requirements. My insurance has the bariatric surgery rider. I am required to go to a "Blue Accredited Center of Excellence" which my surgeon's office us. My insurance does not require a 6 month physician supervised diet. My doctor's office is supposed to take care of the rest. So at some point am I going to have to wait for approval? My doctor/nurse practitioner gave me a time frame if 2-4 months on July 17 before I will have my surgery, depending on when I lose the 20 pounds they require of me, and I meet with the psychologist on the 30th. Is it likely I'm going to go through all this to just get denied by my insurance?
Jackie T.
on 8/12/13 11:38 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

There are some people that are denied but if your doctor's office submits all of the paperwork that is needed then you should be fine.  My policy also has a bariatric rider and I was approved within 24 hours but I didn't find out until the next week.  Once you have met all of the requirements then your office probably has to send something to the insurance company.  The insurance company will then approve and you will be able to have your surgery.  It sounds like you are doing all the right things so hopefully you won't have any problems.

Others have problems because not all of the paperwork was not submitted, they are under the bmi requirements, they are requesting a revision, etc.  There are so many different reasons why people are denied and some are real easy to fix and others are not.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

VSG on 06/12/13
If you meet the requirements and the submission packet contains all required documents that clearly support/illustrate how you meet the requirements, you'll be approved. Period. Congrats!

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views