some advice please

forthetwins
on 8/16/13 12:06 pm - CA

I am 3 weeks out and I am struggling a bit. I have had some difficultly getting all my protein and water in. I also need to mention that I have found myself picking (unconsciously) while preparing my kids food. I'm afraid I have had a few bites here and there of things my new tummy isn't ready for. I struggling on what to eat other than yogurt and protein drinks. 

I feel like I could really benefit from a support group, but my Dr. only offers it once a month.

I would love to get some ideas and encouragement. I feel like I'm already screwing things up for myself.

~nikki

Smiley_23
on 8/16/13 12:15 pm
VSG on 11/26/12

Try soups and broths. Baratrcfoodie.com or just google it

forthetwins
on 8/16/13 12:16 pm - CA

thanks

~nikki

kbdee24
on 8/16/13 12:29 pm - MO
VSG on 08/06/13

I had the same experience this morning. I spoke with my RN and she talked me through it today. She mentioned therapy, a telephonic support group and using OH ( not just reading but getting active). I know I'm not hungry so she discussed food mourning, which I haven't seen discussed much on here. As far as protein, I'm not meeting my goals but I'm supposed to focus on fluids until I can reach the minimum 64oz. The telephonic support group is from bariatric support center international. They meet bimonthly so I'll try that next month as I've missed this month I think. Thanks for posting, I would never have had the courage to seek advice. Good luck. 

princesswimmer24
on 8/16/13 1:54 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Did your surgeons office give you a food plan? Mine gave me a food plan based on my stages and how far post op I am. Your 3 weeks out, but what does your surgeon allow you to have? Are you on liquids, mushies or regular food? Try not to beat yourself up too much. Hubby had a tendency to pick at my food when he was postop and I was till eating regular food. I am 11 days postop and on mushies. Pureed chicken gives you a good amount of protein. Also can you call your NUT, I know he/she should have a list of foods you can tolerate right now. I like to read the thread, whatcha eating today, members give lots of ideas of things to try. I think we could offer more help if we knew what stage you are on right now.

Cindy B.
on 8/16/13 2:19 pm
VSG on 10/22/12

Like the previous poster said, it will help to know what food stage you are at since we have a variety of different plans at different times. Some good foods for high protein are: eggs (scrambled if on soft/mushy stage), cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, lean lunch meats, cheeses (some will say low fat on these, but I have done regular cheeses) also canned tuna and chicken work well with either a tiny bit of light mayo or plain Greek yogurt added to them. Some people eat refried beans, soups/broth with protein clear powder added into them and things like that (I never tried these myself). For me, even still, moist meats work a lot better than dry ones. These are just a few ideas that came to my mind, but I'm sure you could "Google" high protein foods and find a lot more that this. As you get further out chicken, fish, seafood, beef and lean pork are all good options for high protein.

Don't beat yourself up about "picking" at your kids foods, but remember this is a fantastic time to change your habits and create new ones for a new life style.

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

forthetwins
on 8/16/13 11:41 pm - CA

Thanks so much for the replies. I am on the pureed stage. I have recently tried eggs and they are not sitting too well with me. I have also done soups, but they don't really help me to reach my protein goal. I guess I know that I just need to get through this stage -it's not going to last all that long. What really concerns me is my inability to reach my water and protein goals. How does every body do that? 

~nikki

gonna-be-sexy-nana
on 8/17/13 1:27 am - CO
VSG on 09/30/13

do you still drink protein drinks?

Phyllis

Cindy B.
on 8/17/13 3:49 am
VSG on 10/22/12

It's a struggle in the first few weeks for sure! I resorted to baby food meats to get my protein up. I found that easier than protein shakes for some of it at least. Most of us almost have to keep drinking the protein shakes for a while though. As for the fluids, you can count Jello and Popsicles as your liquids. I drank a lot of broth, herbal tea and Crystal Light in my water. A lot of people on here seem to like Unjury chicken broth to help get the protein in. I didn't try it, but that might be a help for you. I struggled to get in enough protein and liquids in the first 6 weeks or so. I was lucky to get 50 grams of protein in some days, but after that it got much easier. If you aren't already eating Greek yogurt and are just having regular, that helps. Like I'm sure you already know, dehydration is what you need to worry about the most. Just have something to drink all day long, except a meal times. Good luck. It should be getting WAY better soon! :)

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 357 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 404 views