Nuva Ring?

megan.sherman
on 8/20/13 10:18 pm
VSG on 05/17/14

I am so paranoid about getting pregnant before surgery I asked my doctor for the Nuva Ring.  Of course, one of the possible side effects is weight gain.  Has anyone had any experience good/bad with the Nuva Ring, in general or in regards to gaining weight while using it?

I am just a few pounds from my 10% body weight loss required pre-surgery and I sure don't want to be fighting to lose weight any harder than I already am.  Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you!!

Tracy D.
on 8/20/13 10:58 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Megan - any form of hormonal contraception could possibly cause weight gain.  But the odds of that are much less with Nuva Ring than something like the depo shot.   Frankly, I work in the business, and most women have no problem with weight gain with the ring.  However, some woman like to BLAME their weight gain on their contraception ;-)

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

rengirl1978
on 8/21/13 2:13 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I used the Nuva Ring before, and it was HORRIBLE!! I don't recall gaining weight, but I DID GET PREGNANT ON IT!! I also got severe ovarian cysts that were so painful! I highly advise AGAINST using this! It was so bad for me! :-(

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

JAlston
on 8/21/13 2:21 am
VSG on 12/07/12

Hi Megan-

I am a fan of the nuvaring, have used it for over 10 years. However, it is not the most effective for birth control if you are over 190lbs. I used it to have a period, I was much heavier. I do not think I gained weight with the nuvaring, i did however gain weight on the depo shot.

I could not use the nuvaring just before surgery, I was told to switch to a non hormonal birth control.

Best bet is an IUD in my opinion. I am scheduled to get one. Due to my weight loss (says my Dr) my nuvaring doesn't want to...umm how do I say this...stay in after sex. So I am too paranoid about getting pregnant and have no desire for more children. 

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Natalie K.
on 8/21/13 4:07 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I've used Nuva Ring for three years and it has not caused my weight gain. My surgeon had me get off of it one month before surgery due to the increased risk of blood clots. I got back on it 4 weeks post op and have been doing fine. It's been a month since I've been back on it and my weight is still consistently going down.

I've tried oral contraceptives before and I didn't like them. I felt like I was always on an emotional roller coaster with them. Nuva ring is nice because it releases a steady amount of hormone so there aren't fluctuations.  Hope this helps!

RockyRitz
on 8/22/13 10:51 am - CA

I am another big fan of NuvaRing.  I've been using it for the past couple of years and did not gain weight with it. The theory of is that the hormones will make you hungrier or hungry more often but that was not the case for me.  I suggest trying it to see how your body reacts to it.  If you don't like it you can always try something else.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views