Newbie. Trying to prepare for new life to come

Ivorybird
on 8/23/13 6:52 am - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 09/19/13

So I am at the very beginning of this process.  After doing my research I am wanting to have the VSG done.  I have my first appointment with the surgeon next week, and hope to schedule a surgery date soon, as I will be self-pay and have no insurance hoops to jump through. I joined this forum to get some idea of what to expect, and it has been a wealth of information!

After reading posts by folks who have been through this, I am making a list of possible bumps in the road so I can have help and support lined up and/or a strategy of how I might handle things.  Here is what I have so far:

1) I will need to deal with emotional/head hunger and learn new ways of coping without turning to food.  (Therapist)

2) My husband and I will need to watch out for relationship changes that can come from a big weight loss.  We see a marriage counselor and I am confident we have help if we run into rough spots.

3) I will have to navigate relationships with other family members who may or may not be supportive.

What else should go on the list?  What pitfalls have you all run into during this process?  I want to go into this with my eyes as wide open as possible to give myself the best chance of success.

Thanks!

Jen

melanieannd
on 8/23/13 7:08 am - TX
VSG on 06/13/12

I can't think of anything at the moment but wanted to congratulate you on beginning your journey. :)

Check out my blog, http://www.missingmelanie.com and like me on Facebook. :) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Melanie/618740441485479

Ivorybird
on 8/24/13 6:07 am - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 09/19/13

Thanks so much!  Everyone here is so supportive!

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/13 6:15 am

I didn't realize that you are one of Dr. Cirangle's patients.  I would tell you to do a few things:

1) Make sure you subscribe to the OH Dr. Cirangle's group.  You can only do that after the surgery, but it is quite helpful.

2) If at all possible, make sure you go to the support group meetings.  They are full of great support, information and can be really fun.  If you live in the bay area, come join our San Jose/Los Gatos group and let me know you are coming so that I will invite you to have dinner with a group of us before the group.

3) Follow the program as closely as possible and don't try to eat around it.  The closer you follow his advice, the better you will do.  Follow the advice of Dr. C's VETS, we have been there and done that and the success is contagious.  You made a great choice in surgeons and I am pretty sure you will be very happy with your sleeve.  Good luck to you and feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns or just to vent some anxiety. 

Ivorybird
on 8/24/13 9:49 am - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 09/19/13

Thanks so much - I will get in touch once I have a surgery date and definitely join the online and IRL support groups.  

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/13 7:18 am

Start putting money away for a --new wardrobe and/or plastics.

Start looking around at new fashion styles you might want to try when you are thinner.

Think of rewards you can give yourself for staying on program and changing your behaviors.

Allow yourself to finally feel hope.

Enjoy the ride, it is one heck of a life changer. 

Good luck! 

Ivorybird
on 8/24/13 6:05 am - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 09/19/13

Good advice - thanks!  Looks like we have the same surgeon. :)

rengirl1978
on 8/23/13 9:04 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Hi Jen & welcome! I too am a newbie, and I have been researching as well. You are doing a great job thinking about the emotional effects of WLS. Some physical things I have found out about the WLS are:

1. Hair loss and regrowth

2. Feeling colder after the surgery

3. Constipation

A great resource for getting clothes along the way would be freecycle. There should be a local freecycle for your area. The way it works is you post things you want to get rid of and you ask for things you need! It is all free, and people give away TONS of clothes! As long as you give stuff away, then you can ask for stuff as well. Just search "freecycle" and you'll find it!

~Rhiannon

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

Ivorybird
on 8/24/13 6:07 am - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 09/19/13

Will add those to the list - thanks!  Yay for us newbies!

Stephanie R.
on 8/23/13 11:23 am - GA
VSG on 09/11/13

Have you been to any local support groups?  I dreaded them at first, but found out they were extremely helpful.  That has helped with my "list".  And it's inspiring to see what others have been through and accomplished.  

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views