Buying workout equipment for home...?

Lexie 84
on 8/27/13 2:07 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

I'm almost 18 months post VSG...last fall/winter, I had that first year restriction so when it got cold and I wasn't walking daily, I still did pretty good with losing. I usually walk a couple miles every day but now I'm worried about this fall/winter...with not having that same restriction as last year, when it gets cold, I need to still be burning calories (and I've developed a sinful sweet tooth that I NEVER had in all my 28 years of living until I had surgery last year smh LOL) I know I won't be walking outside. And I'm not a gym person...I lose that motivation very quickly, as I'm a home body/loner. I'm thinking of investing in a treadmill. I'm always hesitant in making big purchases and need people in my life to tell me if it's worth it. LOL I know that sounds silly but I'm so frugal and I just want to be sure. I'm thinking of using purchasingpower.com which allows fed govt employees to buy stuff and they take installments out of your pay check, which means I'll have to spend about $200-$300 more than the retail value...

any thoughts?

mickeymantle
on 8/27/13 2:15 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

most gyms give a free 1 week trial , go to a local gym and try out the different equipment and see what you like and what works for you

you can buy bikes and treadmills and sometimes elliptical  at good will pretty  cheap or at a garage sale

you will need to set aside a time to use the equipment every day so it becomes a habit , I like to go to the gym and use the pool and there are other people there to talk to, my hubby likes to listen  to an audio book or watch sports while on the treadmill 

good look with your search and your journey

Nikke2003
on 8/27/13 2:38 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I highly recommend that if you are going to purchase equipment for your home that you look at Craigslist first! My husband bought an exercise bike a couple of months ago in GREAT shape for like $50. If you really start to use it a lot and want to upgrade to something newer and/or fancier, then you can do that later!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Lexie 84
on 8/27/13 2:40 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
On August 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM Pacific Time, Nikke2003 wrote:

I highly recommend that if you are going to purchase equipment for your home that you look at Craigslist first! My husband bought an exercise bike a couple of months ago in GREAT shape for like $50. If you really start to use it a lot and want to upgrade to something newer and/or fancier, then you can do that later!

good idea...I'm going to look now!

SophieNJ
on 8/27/13 2:58 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

If you're really frugal, start out with a Leslie Sansone...she's a walk/jog in place person, with many different levels, some with weights...that may help you to see, for a few bucks, if you're going to stick with something...you could exercise indoors when the weather is bad, and dvd's hardly take up any room!

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

claimmaster
on 8/27/13 3:20 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I got SO bored with a treadmill in my house.  It ended up just sitting there.  I sold it on Craig's List at about half the price I paid for it.  I'd much rather bundle up and get outside in the winter.  I'm from NY originally, so I know the winters can be bad, but I'd take it over walking in place for hours on end any day.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

fran67
on 8/27/13 4:36 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12

I also say try Leslie Sansone.  I'm 17 mos out and still use them all the time.  You can check out youtube to sample her stuff to see if you'll like it first before you buy. I never was a gym person either and I'm still not. I have a treadmill I never use but I do use a recumbent bike and the dvds.   

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

danixbanani
on 8/27/13 5:01 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I would suggest hitting up your local target or walmart for some small weights or resistance bands.  I like the resistance bands because you get varying strengths (think varying weights in a weight set), they are fairly small and easy to store unlike weights, and you can do so much with them!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views