WLS Seminar soon, but have some unsure feelings

Endlesslywaiting
on 8/30/13 8:29 am, edited 8/30/13 8:53 am

So i did not know I needed to attend a seminar before being able to schedule my surgery date, but all my insurance paperwork is in and waiting on approval. In the meantime I will continue to have shakes for breakfast and lunch and go to the seminar. Im very excited to actually talk/hear what the surgeon has to say..since I have not spoken to one yet this will help me make my final decisions..as of right now I am 85% for VSG and the rest is on RNY.   I am nervous on what will it be like after surgery i am not nervous for the actually surgery itself i am worried if i will be able to stick to it, or if it wont work. i know silly thought but i cant help the feeling of failure. 

On another subject I have not told everyone in my family that I am having this surgery...anyone else feel like they may try to change your mind and convince u that u can loss the weight on your own (which is obviously what has been tried and failed for years and years before) or how about feeling ashamed to tell them?

cajunlady1958
on 8/30/13 9:45 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15

I was the same way about telling people. So I didn't. It is not hard in the beginning to stay on plan. At 15 months out I tend to drift from my food plan but trust me your stomach reminds you that you cannot eat like you used to.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Imakitekat
on 8/30/13 10:40 am - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

My best advice to to you:

1. Before you tell anyone be at least 90% sure you really want the surgery.  You don't have to validate your reasons to anyone, it's your life and only you know how you have truly struggled with it, but if you are needing reassurance in your decision and want support, I would come here first and build up your enthusiasm.  You don't want anyone derailing what could be a life changing experience for you.  As well, family are going to base their advice out of fear and concern and may not have all the facts and figures about WLS.

2.  Don't tell anyone unless you want everyone to know.  Despite their best efforts most people cannot keep a secret.  I personally don't think they do it to be mean, I think they get scared and want to talk to someone else about their concerns, they don't want to talk to you because they don't want to stress you out.  This has happened to me and I have seen it post over and over.  Tell no one or be resigned to the fact that you don't care who knows!

3.  I think all of us have feelings of being scared the surgery won't work, because so many diets failed usor we feel like we failed the diets.  I think it's reasonable to have doubts.  The surgery has proven to work and if you are committed to working at losing one day at a time you will do great!  I have no doubt.  Just takes time.

hope this helps,

Smiles:),

Lisa

71dart
on 8/30/13 8:36 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
"This above all: to thine own self be true"

Endlesslywaiting
on 8/31/13 1:55 am
Thanks you all for the response..it is reassuring to hear it from someone with the experience.
LtWeight
on 8/31/13 5:27 am - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

I told my sister that moved in with me.  She ended up having to go to my first consultation with me to ask her questions she had and came away supportive.  She had been to a seminar hosted by a different surgeon in my surgeon's office but that wasn't enough for her.  I waited to tell all my other family members when I went on vacation and visited them (I live in another state).  I think not giving them much time to think about it was better for me.  I only told my boss and one co-worker, the other two co-workers gossip and I didn't want the negative stuff going around.

Heather_Austin
on 8/31/13 5:54 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I went to a seminar on 9/16/12 and just had the sleeve last Monday on 8/26/13.  I originally went intending to get a lap band but after speaking with Dr. Patel and subsequent research I decided on the sleeve.  I was (and am) at a BMI just above 40 and my insurance wanted a 6-month supervised diet.  My insurance claim was eventually denied including appeals since I didn't have documentation for 40+ BMI over 2-years (I'd actually been lower thanks to Weigh****chers but had gained it back).  However, I was approved for a hiatal hernia repair and my surgeon did them both at the same time for just a little extra (minimal) fee.

That being said, the 1-year delay was actually a good thing for me.  It gave me time to be 100% (or as close to 100% as feasible) sure that this was the right step for me.  It also gave me time to educate close family and friends about what I was doing. 

At first, my Mom was 100% against it.  I think she was a lot more comfortable with my decision by the time my surgery came around.  My Dad, who is Obese and has congestive heart failure as well as pre-diabetics discussed this with his internal medicine Dr. after I told him, and his Dr. indicated it was a good idea in a lot of cases and he wished he could recommend it for my Dad (but with the heart complications he is not a candidate).  I have a younger sister that is about 40-lbs overweight (6 kids) that is jealous of me (LOL - I've tried to correct that).  My husband of 17 years is normal weight and was pretty much OK with whatever I wanted to do from the start. 

With my coworkers and boss, I've given them a minimum amount of information - just basically telling them what I'm doing.   It's helped that I've worked for the same company for 18-years (right out of college) so they've seen me go from 150 to 250 lbs with some yoyoing in between.

Anyway - it isn't up to anyone but you but if you aren't sure it's the right thing then delay doing the procedure until you are sure.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 226 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views