Wardrobe planning?

megan.sherman
on 9/4/13 4:15 am
VSG on 05/17/14

With the cooler weather here in the Northeast approaching, I am trying to plan a fall wardrobe.  I started this process in May and have since gone from my size 32 pants to a 26.  I won't be having surgery until March so I need to get through the fall and winter.  I am wearing a pair of stretchy jeans today from Target that are a 24, so I'm guessing I can get away with 24's for now.  I have a couple wrap around skirts that I can tighten up as I lose.  I have looked briefly through Salvation Army but didn't see anything in plus sizes.

Just curious how you all planned your wardrobes.  It seems silly to spend a fortune on clothes that will be too big before long.

mimij
on 9/4/13 4:20 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Nice problem to have huh?

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

claimmaster
on 9/4/13 4:21 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I'm lucky and have a closet full of clothes in progressively smaller sizes.  I'm not sure what I'd do if I didn't have that.  Ross is a good place to get clothes on the cheap side.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

71dart
on 9/4/13 4:23 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
While its not the same for a guy, I just buy a few items as I go along. I have changed sizes A LOT. I have a lot of clothes that I only wore 2-3 months then retired them.

tdallison
on 9/4/13 4:30 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Do you have any good local resale shops?  We have a nice one here in Beaumont Texas and it has a plus size section. 

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

Nikke2003
on 9/4/13 4:38 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

1. Invest in a belt

2. Do you have Kohl's nearby? Get a charge card there and get lots of coupons!

3. Ebay, Ebay, Ebay!

I limit myself to 1-2 pairs of pants at a time... I know that seems crazy but after surgery you will start to fly through stuff. I started at a size 30 too.... it took 50 lbs lost before I changed sizes... for the longest time it seemed like it would never happen! Here I am now though moving through sizes like mad!

I do a lot of guessing. For example, in March/April... I bought two red sweaters at Wal-mart... one in an XL and another in a 2XL simply because they were $2.00 a piece. I guessed that by the time winter rolled around, I could wear them (and I'm right). Now... the other day I bought a bunch of Large short sleeved shirts at Kohl's for next year since they are moving their Fall/Winter stuff in.... I know it's hard to play that guessing game, but it has definitely helped me!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

SophieNJ
on 9/4/13 5:04 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

ask your big, beautiful girl friends to remember you when they clean out their closets....I've gotten a ton of 'donated' clothes this way, not only from my friends, but my friends friends.  they are happy to have a good reason to help out (and perhaps replace their own stuff with new).

I also stick the the stretchy pants, good for 2-4 size changes.  

Good luck!
Sophie

DesertRose
on 9/4/13 5:32 am
VSG on 01/08/14

I have some clothes in the next couple of sizes down (right now I'm a 24/26 ish), but I'm probably not going to have surgery until December at the earliest.

Also, I live in Florida, where the weather is almost never sub-freezing, so I can wear a lot of my wardrobe year round.

I would suggest that you spend some time in thrift shops.  Sometimes you'll be surprised by what you find.  Today, I went shopping, looking for a ****tail dress to wear to my high school reunion at the end of this month (yeah, I know, not the epitome of preparation here, waiting until this late to shop for the dress), and I found a lovely lavender dress in my size for $9 in a thrift shop, and there was a red suit in another thrift shop I almost bought but decided it wasn't really dressy enough for the ****tail party for which I was shopping, which was $6. 

Thrift shopping can be a pain in the neck, because the merchandise is often not well organized or organized in an odd fashion.  For example, the thrift shop where I found the red suit is organized by type of garment and then by color, so you really have to scour the racks trying to find any given size.  I'm lucky in that I live in a city where there are a LOT of thrift shops in one specific part of town, along one major road (one of the few convenient features of my city).  But, even if you have to bounce all over town looking for thrift shops, they can really be worth your time.

I also agree with somebody upthread, who said to check Ross for inexpensive clothes.  When there's no point in spending a lot of money on clothes (or when you just plain don't have a lot of money to spend on clothes), places like Ross or TJMaxx or Marshall's are great, but they are often hit or miss.  You just have to go look.

Good luck!  :)

abbyluwho
on 9/4/13 5:45 am - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

I've been buying as little as possible.  I have 1 pair of shorts, capri's, and jeans.  I wear them until I'm constantly hitching them up like the hoodlums of today.  I've been wearing my shirts until they are so baggy the girls are exposed.  Right now I have 5 shirts that I bought in a plain old, from the misses section XL.  I also keep my outgrown stuff for my larger friend who is on her own weight loss journey!

Tammy S.
on 9/4/13 9:16 am - Chandler, AZ
VSG on 01/14/13 with
In my area I belong to a support group & we have a clothing exchange twice a year. Maybe see if there is anything like that in your area.

5'2, HW 297, SW 274, CW 124, GW 137 (goal reached 2/17/14)  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views