Blender bottle and protein shakes....a question for your veterans!

howarli
on 9/5/13 11:12 pm - MD

I hate to bust your bubble...........but the best way to avoid the foam and the smell which truly disgusted me is to go for the ready to drink protein shakes. 

Bayoubabie98
on 9/7/13 3:54 am

I'd not thought of those, great tip!  Thanks!

AdeanaMarie
on 9/5/13 11:34 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

It all depends on the protein.  Mine does not foam up, but is a plant based one called PlantFusion and it is an acquired taste, but I love it.  I think the blender bottle or a big adult coffee mug that seals would be your best way to mask the smell.  Remember, anything you add to it, is either more calories or more fake sugar (which can have negative side effects depending on your tolerance of them).  

At first, right after surgery, I had trouble with water more than the protein shakes, for some reason it was more about the thickness for me than anything.  Find a couple you like, buy samples if needed and see what happens after surgery.

I have used my blender bottles since day one and love them.  I am over a year and a half post op and still have my same protein shake every day for breakfast.  So when you find one you love, you might do the same.  Right now, it seems overwhelming probably to think you need to drink one for a certain period of time, but you can do it!  FYI, I have never found an unflavored protein I like, but that is just me.  I am sure there are those out there that use it and add their own flavorings.  I have used the unflavored to make protein balls mixed with almond butter and chia cereal, but that would be later down the road for you.

Blessings on your surgery and journey.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Bayoubabie98
on 9/7/13 3:55 am

I'd LOVE to have your recipe for protein balls!  I can tuck it away for later!  Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! 

Shagdoll
on 9/6/13 1:19 am

Some people like that unflavored protein powder.  I was using it immediately post op in my Vitamin Water Zeros but after a while the flavor got to me.  It might be called unflavored but it definitely has a taste to it & it made all my drinks cloudy.

I also didn't like the Premier RTD shakes which was too bad.  A lot of peeps on her love them & they are an excellent source of protein & low in carbs.  I got a bad batch of them that were all clumpy in the bottom & turned me off indefinitely after that.  I heard people were putting them in their coffee & loved them.

I love to use the blender bottles with the iced coffee protein like Click Mocha & Chike so it was iced, yum!  But then I would want to switch it up and put those coffee proteins in a real blender with almond milk so it was more like a frap.  It tastes like I was having a treat like a Starbuck's light mocha frap, yum!

I loved using PB2 also in my chocolate, vanilla, & strawberry shakes.  It takes that protein taste away & tastes like the real deal!!  So a chocolate PB2 shake tasted like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Bayoubabie98
on 9/7/13 3:58 am

I see a lot of people have positive things to say about the Click Mocha and Chike.  I'm not a big coffee fan and rarely drink it.  I also don't care for coffee flavored foods.  But who knows?  If my tastes changes after surgery then perhaps I'll decide I like it!  I'll have to add it to my "try" list.  Thanks!

Connie S.
on 9/6/13 1:41 am - CA
VSG on 03/04/13
I ha trouble finding protein powder I liked, and finally settled on Unjury chocolate splendor and vanilla. I used the vanilla to mix with greek yogurt and Torani sugar free syrups in the early days post op. I use the choc splendor in my morning dribk with Torani SF coffee syrup, almond milk, and ice blended up. Tastes great. I did not like the unflavored at all. Unflavored does not mean no flavor, and it still had protein smell!
Bayoubabie98
on 9/7/13 3:59 am

So far the Unjury Chocolate Splendor is my favorite.  I plan to have a few sample packets on hand after surgery.  I hope my tastes don't change and turn me against it after surgery.  We shall see!  Love the tip to add the vanilla flavor to greek yogurt!  Yum!  Thanks!

snowiekate
on 9/6/13 6:37 am - FL

I love the Celebrate Vitamins Cake Batter protein shake - mixed in a blender bottle - and have not had any "smell issues" with this. When I get a little bored with the flavor, I add a tablespoon of PB2, a cup of decaf coffee, or a scoop of CLICK Mocha. Yum. 

~ snowiekate

High 307.2, Pre-liquid: 290.3, Surgery: 282.6

Surgery date May 31, with Dr. Radecke (Riverside Surgical in Sebastian, FL)

Bayoubabie98
on 9/7/13 4:00 am

I've never heard of the cake batter flavor.  I'll have to check it out!  Thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views