Blender bottle and protein shakes....a question for your veterans!

Bayoubabie98
on 9/5/13 12:42 pm

Hello there!  I'm preop and have tried a number of protein shakes in an attempt to find a few I like so I can have them on hand.  I don't plan to invest MUCH in protein shakes right away because I've learned here that tastes change post op and I don't want to waste money.  I have definitely been repulsed by all the strawberry shakes I've tried (surprising since I love strawberries).  Those are a no go.  I do like the Unjury Chocolate Splendor.  Some of the others that I have tried are alright but what has turned me off is the vitamin/protein smell when I try to drink them.  For example, I did like the nectar roadside lemonade however, the vitamin smell nauseated me a bit.  So here's my question, if I make my shakes in a blender bottle will this help avoid exposure to some of the smell?  I plan to pick up a few blender bottles anyway but I'm also searching for ways around being repulsed by some of these protein shakes.  :( 

Another question, would the unflavored Unjury protein powder be a better option for me?  Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

~Angela

Mousesmom
on 9/5/13 12:55 pm - OR
VSG on 03/18/13
I dont know a thing about the Unjury.
But I have seen some posts where people have used sippy cups to block the smell.
Chrissy W.
on 9/5/13 1:47 pm - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

I've found that the best way to get around the smell is to mask it. I use coffee creamer to mask Syntrax Nectar Vanilla Bean Torte. Works like a charm. I just got some of the Roadside Lemonade and have found that a splash of grenadine does the trick nicely there. It adds minimal calories, so I'm going to stuck with it. It's really helped me hit my protein goals lately. 

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Bayoubabie98
on 9/7/13 3:52 am

I did like the taste of the Roadside Lemonade, I just didn't care for the vitamin smell.  I'm going to pick up several blender bottles as this will hopefully do the trick.  Hadn't heard of the Vanilla Bean Torte so I may give that one a try as well.  Thanks!

Akidd1012
on 9/5/13 1:57 pm - KY
VSG on 07/25/13

I had the same issue... But even more was the foam layer at the top of the shake... Yuck! I asked my PA if I could use a straw. She told me yes but with caution. I use the blender bottles and drink with a straw. I don't have to smell it or drink the foam! I drink everything else normally.. But my protein I drink with a straw. Also.. I love the unjury chocolate splendor as well. I add PB2 to it and it mask the protein smell and flavor... If you like peanut butter this is a great option.

Debster72
on 9/5/13 2:21 pm

I see PB2 on this fourm alot--- what is it?

Akidd1012
on 9/5/13 2:31 pm - KY
VSG on 07/25/13

It is a powdered form of peanut butter. I tried putting regular peanut butter in my shakes and it makes them really thick like wall paper paste and it is quite disgusting. But the PB2 gives you the PB flavor without as many calories or that funky texture. I have bought mine at Walmart. They sell it on Amazon too. 

Debster72
on 9/6/13 4:55 am

thanks, i will have to give it a try! Do you just add it to protein shakes?

MacMadame
on 9/7/13 4:17 am - Northern, CA

Yes. And then add slightly more liquid to your shakes. Or not it's all about personal preference.

I tend to make mine half liquid, half ice and blend them. For the Chike, I put in 16 oz. of liquid/ice and 3 scoops of powder which is more liquid than the instructions say. For Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie, I put in 16 oz. of liquid/ice and 2 scoops of powder which is exactly what the instructions say.

And those are the only protein powders I can stand out of the 40 or so flavors/brands I tried! I'm pretty picky.

On the RTD front, OMG, I hate them all. But I can stand Muscle Milk Lite in some flavors. Not all the flavors, but some. I don't go looking for them but I won a case in a raffle of the latte flavor and they were okay. Vanilla is okay too. Can't take the chocolate. Or the non-lite versions.

Lots of people like Big Train, About Time and Oh Yeah and the Syntrax fruit flavors as well as Click. Those are very popular and worth trying too. But post-op.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Bayoubabie98
on 9/7/13 3:53 am

PB2 is a great idea that I'd not thought of!  I'll have to pick some up at WalMart ot have on hand.  Thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views