Right below the BMI requirement now...

MAchick
on 9/9/13 1:24 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I've been considering WLS seriously for a few months now. I went to a group meeting to learn more, and scheduled my first appointments with nutritionists, RNs, etc. A week before my first appointment, I was admitted to the hospital with acute pancreatitis.

Now after getting out, I have lost 10-13lbs and am just below the BMI requirement! I have stayed at this lower weight for a couple weeks because I am really paying attention to what I eat now (don't want to have an attack again), but I am not losing any further. I lost the original weight because I didn't eat for almost a week while in the hospital.

So, now I don't even qualify. I don't want to gain weight to get over that line, and yet I am bummed that I do not qualify.

I guess I just give it some time and see what my weight does? Just venting. I feel like with this recent health scare I need WLS even more to help me get healthier.

mickeymantle
on 9/9/13 1:29 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

they usually go by the starting weight when you first go to see the surgeon , or the weight when your pcp sent in the referral,talk to the person at your surgeons office that handles the insurance claims , they may not count the weight lose while you where hospitalized if you have a documented history of being very over weight 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

MAchick
on 9/9/13 1:32 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Mickey, that is a great suggestion, thank you so much! They did mention that they weigh every time you have an appointment and to be careful not to lose weight. They submit your final weight to insurance, then once you meet with the surgeon that weight is locked in. You're right, I think the best thing I can do is call them and present my case, see if they have any suggestions.

grayC
on 9/9/13 1:49 am
VSG on 05/01/13
Also do you have any co-morbities??
Even with a lower BMI it will help you to qualify,
I didn't quailify on BMI my co-morbities qualified me...

MAchick
on 9/9/13 1:50 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I just called and the woman said I should still qualify. So, I am going to go ahead and reschedule my appointments! This makes me feel so much better. Since I was so sick in the hospital, I've been so scared for my future health.

Lexie 84
on 9/9/13 4:42 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

They ARE going to go by the weight they take at your first appointment. If you loose after that, they can't hold it against you. Most programs are set up for you to get in weight loss mode and start loosing anyway so they can't penalize you for it. But they are going to look at your weight history and your weight at that first appointment.

HGmommy
on 9/9/13 5:08 am - Montgomery, AL
I sure hope this is true. With a BMI of 36.7, I'm scared to death of loosing weight between my first appointment and surgery day. They can't put me on a diet and expect me not to loose atleast a couple pounds!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views