Severe Heartburn...What Am ( Doing Wrong?

Alese M.
on 9/10/13 2:51 pm - FL

Hi Everyone...

I have severe heartburn....painful indeed...I have been chewing my 25 chews and lately selecting the smallest portion of the food...I eat alot of fish so it is easy to break apart and eat slowly.  But I must be missing the "fullness" cue.  I don't want to use the word uncomfortable b/c it isn't.  It is downright painful and the way I picture the food or fluid is that the throat gets smaller closer to the stomach and backs up to the point of blockage.  Food can take hours to digest.  Water can be painful as well as it is going down. 

I don't think it is anything serious just that I must be eating or drinking too fast....or too much.

What am I doing wrong?  Am I still in the old "mindset" of eating and drinking like I used to?

VSG on 7/30/13.

Please Help....alese inFL

mickeymantle
on 9/10/13 3:55 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

are you on a ppi to limit acid , do you measure all your food? try slowing down and eating less

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Alese M.
on 9/11/13 5:00 am - FL

Thx for your response.  Yes, I am on Protonix (Rx).  I was on it once a day but doc said take it twice a day.  I don't measure my food as I am not on a routine yet.  I hear so many sleevers are on 6-800 cal..is there a diet book for that?  I do think ypur last comment was what I am doing wrong....I need to slow down and eat less!

Thank you, alese

wkeener
on 9/10/13 10:57 pm - TX

I was told to take PPI 1st thing before i ate in the morning and that worked well but sometimes later in the day i would feel backed up so i needed to try something stronger , get with your dr on what to take you don't need to feel that way, good luck with this i know it can be bad .

Alese M.
on 9/11/13 7:47 am - FL

Hi Wkeener,,,

Thank you so much for your comments....Backed up is a great word b/c that is exactly how I feel.  Today I have had 2 oz of yogurt.  It appears I have been eating too much and fast at one time!!  Plus, I bought these baby sippy cups and they have worked well with holding me back from gulping my fluids....

I have been on IV fluids for the last 2 wks (picc line at home) as I was severely dehydrated.  Now my lab tests show I have rehydrated and can stand up straight again. 

I had a pancreas/kidney txp 10 yrs ago and had a protocol I follow and still follow.  My problem with dehydration developed b/c I couldn't get in all the fluids I used to drink (64+ oz daily) and so fell way short.  Now I will have to develop a check off list to be certain I am drinking at least that amt thou the doc said 100 oz...Boy, that is alot!

Thx again for your advice.

alese  

theyearofme
on 9/10/13 11:19 pm
VSG on 03/28/13

I needed a PPI almost immediately after surgery and it was at it's worst about 2-4 months out.  I took Prilosec each morning and then a booster does my dr gave me in the mid-afternoon.  I actually found that the heartburn got worse when I waited too long to eat, not after I ate.  Like my stomach was producing the acid as a cue it needed food.  But a lot of folks have the other problem.  I could eat a serving of yogurt or cottage cheese with my afternoon dose and it helped tremendously. 

Alese M.
on 9/11/13 7:31 am - FL

Hi...I see your year is coming up...Whoppee!  You've done so well.

I use Protonix for years actually.  I think I better change the time from the afternoon to morning and then doc said I could take a 2nd Protonix.  So will do that...One in AM and one near dinner.  My surg also ordered Pepcid at time of vsg so maybe that is your booster???!!  I've even taken TUMS...The thread above you mentioned I may be eating too much and drinking too fast and I must agree with that...

I bought a couple baby sippy cups to slow my drinking down....it has helped.

Thx for your advice and input.

alese

alese in SE FL    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views