The long wait begins...

iammommy
on 9/17/13 11:24 pm

I've had all my evals and final appt with the surgeon yesterday.  Insurance approval has begun, but the coordinator did not think there would be any issue, expected approval within 2 weeks.  BUT the surgeon's schedule is so booked that it's looking like I won't be able to have surgery before January.  That was a bummer.  I'm definitely scared to have the surgery but feel more than ready.  3-4 months longer seems like forever, but I plan to use the time to get started making the right changes and try not to dwell on the wait.

I look forward to continuing to follow the success of all you VSGers in the meantime.  Keep posting those progress photos- they are so inspiring to those of us who havent had surgery yet.

Nikke2003
on 9/17/13 11:54 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Congrats on moving through the process! Sorry that you have to wait until the beginning of the year. Maybe you could ask them to be put on a waiting list so that you could squeeze in if there is a cancellation?

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

LosingSarah
on 9/18/13 1:37 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Super exciting!  My paperwork was sent a week ago yesterday and I can hardly stand the wait to find out.  I, too, was told that everything looks good, so anticipate being approved. 

Huge bummer about the wait you have, but I agree about seeing if there is a waiting list to get in on a last minute opening if they have one. I am thankful that there is only typically only a 2-4 week wait from when I get approved. The last six months of pre-op nut meetings and everything went pretty fast for me. I'm sure the next few months will for you, too, and before you know it you'll be on "the other side"  

Heather_Austin
on 9/18/13 2:51 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

It took me 1-year from the time I went to the seminar, through the 6-month supervised diet, waiting for insurance approval (which was denied even through appeal), additional testing to find I had a hiatal hernia and then approval to get that corrected (which I then also had the sleeve and just paid a little extra fee).  I was anxious to get it done as well but really appreciate the time.  It gave me time to educate friends and family about what I was doing as well as myself. 

Also, the benefit of doing this in January is that you can set aside Section 125 money this Fall to cover your portion in January since you'll have a better idea of the costs!

Heather - Austin, TX

pineview01
on 9/18/13 3:38 pm - Davison, MI

Sorry to hear about your wait!  If you are in a position to, I would ask to be put on the cancelation list.  I did this the first time and was called and asked if I could take a date that was two weeks out.  I didn't even have time for food funerals or even to get to worked up. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views