Trying to decide between lapband and the sleeve.

muggys2020
on 9/19/13 3:58 am

Hello I am new to this. I am starting my way to have WLS, but I am now trying to decide between the lapband or the sleeve. I have researched both but would like others opinions. Thanks!

Jai
Member Services
on 9/19/13 4:01 am - Irvine, CA

We suggest you read all you can (see information to the right) speak to members and surgeons that do "both" procedures    

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress  

band2sleeverevision
on 9/19/13 4:10 am
VSG on 02/25/13

Your after care with the lap band is critically important because you are dependent on someone knowing whether you truly need a fill or not and can work with your issues.  The lap-band is much more variable on a day to day basis than the sleeve.  For example, when I had the lap-band there were lots of days where I couldn't eat until 1-2 in the afternoon because the band for whatever reason was tight that day.  I never have that issue with the sleeve.  I couldn't eat lettuce with the band-it would get stuck every time.  No problems eating any kind of food with the sleeve. Junk food goes down easy with both of them so you have to pay attention like any surgery.  Getting to your sweet spot in the band (i.e. the place where it's tight enough to dim your appetite but not tight enough that you can't eat solid food) is difficult.

The sleeve is permanent but given the recent data you need to plan on having your band out at some point and replacing with another surgery most likely. I had my band for 10 years and I don't know anyone in my cohort who has one still.  Once the band is out, people seem to gain weight rapidly so you will need another surgery most likely.

Given what I know now, I would go RNY, DS or sleeve rather than having 2 procedures.

Chrissy W.
on 9/19/13 4:10 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

Do a lot of reading on both forums. I just took a quick trip over to the LAP-Band forum, and within 30 seconds I saw posts containing titles like "Erosion," "Complications," and "IT IS OUT." Here, you get titles like "GOAL!" "Happy!" and "Broke my stall!"

I think that speaks volumes.

Personally, I had the sleeve because the idea of having a foreign object in my body that had to be maintained (i.e. filled, deflated, etc), that could slip, erode, and flat out FAIL completely turned me off. The RNY (bypass) turned me off because I didn't want to have a blind stomach that couldn't be scoped. If you're serious about starting this journey, find a local surgeon and attend an information seminar (pretty much all of them require it anyway and they are usually free or cheap). This will get you all of the information you could want to get started. Good luck on this journey.

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Birdie55
on 9/19/13 4:13 am

You might want to check out the revision board and see that many people are having revisions from lap band.  There can be serious problems from the lap band eroding the tissue around where it is placed.   I'm sure a number of people will respond to this thread as recently there have been some revisions from band to sleeve people posting here.   Good luck making your decision.   

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/a,messageboard/bo ard_id,5360/

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Jackie T.
on 9/19/13 4:21 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

When I went to my first seminar, I thought I was going to do the lapband.  I knew I did not want the bypass.  I heard them speak about the sleeve and wanted to really check it out.  I heard some people that liked the band and had great success with it but I heard more stories of complications and the difficulty with getting the correct volume of saline injected, etc.  My doctors said it could take 6 months before the combination was right.  You had to keep going to the doctor and insurance might not cover it, etc.  I really did not want to do all of the maintenance that is part of it and have a foreign piece of equipment in my stomach that would have to probably be replaced at some point as I plan on living a lot longer.  My PCP also told me of her patient that had the lapband and once she had lost all of her weight you could see the port under her skin.

I then really started researching the sleeve and I was sold!  I have not had any issues with my sleeve but be aware that complications can happen with any surgery.  I am 9 months out today and have lost 112.5 lbs. 

Just make sure you research, research, research before choosing a lap band over a sleeve or any other weight loss surgery.  There are successes and failures in all surgeries but having the lapband you can fail with out it being anything you did wrong.  If you choose to do the lap band make sure you do it with an office that has had many, many successes and very few failures.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

danixbanani
on 9/19/13 5:43 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Do you like needles?  If not, don't get the lapband.

But, in all seriousness, I had the lapband and it was probably the worst decision I ever made.  I lost a total of 50lbs in the first YEAR and that was it.  I maintained for about two years but then issues started creeping up.  No matter what I did to lose weight, nothing worked.  I could never find my "sweet spot" and I don't think it exists.  Eventually, I developed a hiatal hernia and GERD (really bad acid reflux causing a cough).  I'm LUCKY those were my only complications.  I've heard many horror stories of erosion and the band growing into your stomach and killing the cells.  In addition to this, I know plenty of people who now have esophagus problems.  Basically, from all the puking you will ultimately do with the band. it completely destroys your esophagus.  Many people have ended up on feeding tubes, picc lines, and having multiple surgeries to correct these issues.  Like I said, I'm one of the lucky ones.

Every time I ate, no matter what it was good or bad, it got stuck.  Think of a knife stabbing pain in your chest and the inability to keep anything down.  Yup, that happened EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.  Then I would have to go puke up what I ate and not eat anything for a couple of hours.  I ruined many date nights, nights out with girlfriends, parties, holidays, etc because of this.  In addition to all this, the port is painful.  You can't lay on it, it feels like a hard rock under your skin and getting a GIANT needle stuck in it every 1-2 months was horrible.  I hated every second of it.

I don't want to scare you too much but these are real facts about the lapband.  Most surgeons are moving away from the lapband procedure because of all the complications.  Everyone thinks the lapband is reversible and that might be with more surgery but do you really want to go down that road?  I would've rather have gotten one surgery and been done with it. 

I revised to the sleeve in October 2012 and I have never regretted the decision.  I can eat like a normal human being and not have to puke all the time.  Lean proteins that are good for you now go down easier than with the band.  I can eat vegetables, I can eat just about anything!  I've lost more weight than I ever did with the lapband and I'M KEEPING IT OFF.  Even with a slight gain this summer, I'm getting it off just as easy as being immediately post-op. 

Lastly, please realize that WLS is not a magic wand.  You have to change your lifestyle and really learn to make the right choices when it comes to eating and exercising.  Sure, you can eat chicken wings and ice cream with the sleeve but you'll still gain weight.  It's not going to magically erase the calories and fat. 

I wish you luck and if you have questions feel free to PM me.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

SuzanneR
on 9/19/13 6:31 am - Randolph, NJ

Danixbanani told my story. Everything she said happened to me right down to losing 50 lbs and that was it and having GERD and couldn't have my band filed. And when you get "stuck" with your food not passing through the band the pain is awful. I had the band revised to a sleeve, lost a lot more weight and have been keeping it off for nearly a year...and I still believe I can lose the rest to goal. Good luck to you whatever you decide. Do your research.

bjwimmer1
on 9/19/13 8:51 am

Our surgeon said they aren't having the results with lapband they thought they were going to have..People are able to eat their way around it.  I have a friend who actually had the band and ate around it and ended up 2 years later reversing the procedure and having the bypass done.  I have a co-worker who is having issues as well with the band.. having to get it filled/unfilled all the time.  I have the sleeve myself and am not having any problems.  Everyone is different, but their is a lot of information out there I hope you are able to find what is best for you!  Praying :)

Sheryl G.
on 9/19/13 12:13 pm - IL
VSG on 09/17/12

Simply put - there is no comparison. Get the sleeve.

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 391 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views