Need help desperately!!!

Menchi
on 9/20/13 10:22 am
VSG on 09/11/13

A friend of mine had the surgery at the same time I did, 9 days ago, she has eaten something she maybe should have waited to eat and is now very sick.  This may have been okay in about 7 days.  Will this pass, is there something she needs to do, or does she need to go to urgent care?

christinahelena
on 9/20/13 10:35 am - CA

In order to help we need to know what she and how much ... And what problems she is having.

Cannot be vague  ... She could call drs office .. 

Christina

Menchi
on 9/20/13 10:42 am
VSG on 09/11/13

She made a soup out of mac and cheese, I doubt more then 4oz.  She is very nausea and pain.  The Doctor is unreachable right now

christinahelena
on 9/20/13 10:58 am - CA

Okay... First I am not a doctor and this is not a substitute for medical advice.

What she did was very dangerous at only a week post op when fluids ate the order of the day ... And sips. At one year out I could not tolerate 2 ounces of bread or pasta.

It is unlikely that she will NOT vomit as she shouldn't have room for that. She could very well rupture her staple line and get a leak which are life threatening, so YES I would take her to the hospital!

I'm sure she feels upset and stupid and embarrassed and her behavior certainly needs to be addressed with her dr and therapist as to why she chose to be non compliant....but what is important NOW is her life and it is potentially  that serious dependent upon how much she ate ( further out its the foamies/ regurgitation and a lesson learned. But right now it could be more than that and she should be evaluated)

My opinion ... 

Christina

christinahelena
on 9/20/13 11:17 am - CA

Btw every dr has an on call emergency number or should have ... Use it!

was this pureed or eaten as noodles and broth and since everything is is measured  he/ she should know how much exactly they consumed.... 

At least call advice nurse with all details, know what signs to look for for leak... And not be left alone in case she needs medic.

That's all I've got... 

Please chime in vets!!!

christina

Shagdoll
on 9/20/13 11:28 am, edited 9/20/13 6:23 pm
She is 9 days post op & made soup from Mac & Cheese? I hope she didn't just blenderize it; I hope she liquified it. Is there a reason she didn't want to stick to something safer like protein shakes? It's still too early in my opinion for her to be experimenting with something like pasta. If she is in that kind of pain & discomfort, she needs to see a doctor right away. 4 ounces of Mac & Cheese soup seems like too much. She needs to be better safe than sorry. I'm worried for her! Keep us posted if you can. I hope she's ok.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Bibo
on 9/20/13 12:43 pm

I agree that medical attention would help. Also,  Sounds like she's dumping without throwing up. I didn't eat it intentionally but some pea soup I bought had flour in it, and I didn't see it cause it was so far down on the ingredients list, and I hurt awful bad for about five hours. Thought I was going to pass out. Never threw up, never the other end either. Just had to work it's way out. Wouldn't hurt to call the on call number at her surgeons office cause I am not a doctor. Just relating my experience.

Later on, after this is over, it might be worth looking at food addiction issues  either with a professional or a 12 step group and see if anything  there applies.

Menchi
on 9/20/13 1:54 pm
VSG on 09/11/13

I got a hold of our doctor and the put her on clear liquids for the next three days with maylox.  She is not happy but maybe a bit more aware of her limitations.   She will go to the doctor in the morning if things do not improve.  She has not thrown up yet so she is not too far gone yet.   

Hislady
on 9/20/13 2:30 pm - Vancouver, WA

Please remind your friend that the nerves in her stomach have been cut and she isn't going to "feel" how much she is eating until it is too late. She needs to be measuring everything she eats so she doesn't overeat accidentally. The rules are there to avoid damaging her stomach and getting a grip on her eating so she must start obeying them or she is ion for a long and difficult time with little weight loss. Reality is here and she needs to face it!!

Menchi
on 9/20/13 2:45 pm
VSG on 09/11/13

I will tell her, but I think she is going to have a rough battle.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 64 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views