When is it safe to say your leak free??

Yandeliz77
on 10/2/13 7:36 am - MA
Hi everyone my name is Brenda and I had my surgery on 9/17/23 and everything went well but yesterday I woke up with a major headache and upset stomach no fever. (I'm going to admit I haven't been getting all my proteins or fluild in.) I decided to go to my surgeon's office and they ordered all kinds of blood work and scheduled me for a CT. I'm also getting an IV tommorow. What concerns me is why the CT it makes me think they suspects a leak. Can anyone please give me some insides on leaks and if I should be worried. Thanks
tysmom01
on 10/2/13 7:56 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

It sounds like you're dehydrated. Dehydration will cause a terrible headache and nausea, along with other things. But it's good that you went to your surgeon just in case. I always say it's better to be safe and find out nothing is wrong than to sit there wondering then something really be wrong. My doctor did a leak test right after he finished the surgery while I was still under anesthesia. And he also told me that after 30 days post op, if there have been no complication, then you're less likely to have any complications. I hope you begin feeling better. Try hard to get those fluids in! It's hard at first but it will come easier. Prayer for you that no leaks or any major complications found!!

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

Ms Shell
on 10/2/13 8:12 am - Hawthorne, CA

Worrying will NOT do anything for you.  But ruling ANYTHING out will.  

Leaks can be found up to several months after surgery.  Mainly because sometimes it doesn't just leak but can somehow become protected in a pouch like.  I'm NOT technical but I remember a lady whose leak was found 3 months.  She didn't become septic because it was leaking into a pouch of skin or lining or something.

mickeymantle
on 10/2/13 3:48 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I was told that 95% of leaks happen the first 3 weeks but it was possible for months

just sounds like he is being safe and checking everything , they may just be looking at the size and shape  of your sleeve there all a little different , mine looks like a string bean so I call her Beany

being dehydrate will upset your stomach and give you a headache, dizziness, trey to drink some broth it might help both problems

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/13 8:10 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

i just contacted my surgeon about this tonight, his liason wrote me that leaks can happen in the first six months.  by three months you are almost 'free of risk'.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views