Why do medical professionals have such set opinions about bypass vs. sleeve?

ElizaM
on 9/25/13 8:21 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I went to see a GI doctor today (whee, colonoscopy AND an endoscopy in my future--did I win the lotto?) and told him that I am still deciding between Bypass and the sleeve. He goes "Bypass, all the way. It's the superior surgery, and I don't know why they even offer the other surgeries."

My PCP has been similar. She is usually wonderful to me so please don't suggest finding another one. But I said I was leaning towards the sleeve, and she lectured me. "You won't get to choose, your surgeon will choose for you." And she made it clear she thinks I should have bypass.

My OB-GYN is buddies with a surgeon who does sleeves, and she thinks the sleeve is the best.

My SURGEON, on the other hand, really treats me with respect. I asked him how we decided on which procedure and he said it would be a mutual decision. He laid out the facts as they stand, let me know about the disparities in research (it is a concern of mine that there seems to be less history for the Sleeve in terms of research). His staff have said they're impressed with the sleeve and the results it gets. But they make a case for and against both surgeries and let me decide.

It's really hard when doctors, who are in an authority position, come down on it this way. I start wondering if they know something I don't, and if I'm missing something. Has anyone else experienced this? What do you think is going on?

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Tracy D.
on 9/25/13 8:54 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
Frankly, many doctors are arrogant a-holes! This is coming from someone with two doctors in the family, one who argued that none of my stomach was removed and that I didn't know what I was talking about - ugh.

Trust your surgeon and choose the one that feels right for YOU!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

mickeymantle
on 9/25/13 8:58 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

doctors push for what they know , there both great surgeries , but the rny has been done a lot longer for weight loss and has more history

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sonya139
on 9/25/13 9:02 am - VA
On September 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM Pacific Time, ElizaM wrote:

I went to see a GI doctor today (whee, colonoscopy AND an endoscopy in my future--did I win the lotto?) and told him that I am still deciding between Bypass and the sleeve. He goes "Bypass, all the way. It's the superior surgery, and I don't know why they even offer the other surgeries."

My PCP has been similar. She is usually wonderful to me so please don't suggest finding another one. But I said I was leaning towards the sleeve, and she lectured me. "You won't get to choose, your surgeon will choose for you." And she made it clear she thinks I should have bypass.

My OB-GYN is buddies with a surgeon who does sleeves, and she thinks the sleeve is the best.

My SURGEON, on the other hand, really treats me with respect. I asked him how we decided on which procedure and he said it would be a mutual decision. He laid out the facts as they stand, let me know about the disparities in research (it is a concern of mine that there seems to be less history for the Sleeve in terms of research). His staff have said they're impressed with the sleeve and the results it gets. But they make a case for and against both surgeries and let me decide.

It's really hard when doctors, who are in an authority position, come down on it this way. I start wondering if they know something I don't, and if I'm missing something. Has anyone else experienced this? What do you think is going on?

Doctors deal with research and data and that's what they know. They probably know very little about the Sleeve since it hasn't been around for years and years as a stand alone surgery. Bypass is probably all they know. I've even had people say that they didn't even know about the Sleeve until the information session. They too had their mind set on Bypass, as did I. I went to the information session in June and that was the first time I heard of The Sleeve.  When the Sleeve becomes the gold standard they will have strong set opinions on the Sleeve.

G5x5
on 9/25/13 9:50 am - VA
First, the sleeve is best, hands down.

But doctors tend to go with their training and the bypass has more history because it's been around so much longer.

My problem with the bypass is: do you really want to totally rewrite the plumbing inside your body? Plus there are side effects from the bypass that don't seem to exist on the sleeves (at least for me).

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

tigerlilly3847
on 9/25/13 10:39 am
VSG on 06/06/13

will I told my dr what I wonted and he didn't have anything to say about It at all I feel that if you get what you wont then you will do the best that you can...I had the sleeve done june 6 2013 and im loving ever day of it... I would do it over and over again

uglymouse
on 9/25/13 11:15 am - newnan, GA
My surgeon asked me which one I was leaning to, and I said the sleeve. He agreed since I don't have other issues with being overweight.

My husband who does have issues was told the bypass was better option.
TurnThePage
on 9/25/13 11:55 am

Doctors want patients to succeed with their weight loss and be happy with the results. The statistical data shows the odds of that happening are better with bypass than with sleeve. They have seen more patients be successful with the bypass so they are more likely to recommend it. The bypass has a well established record of success dating back to the 1970s while the sleeve has about a 10 year history. Consequently, less is known about the long term success and problems of the sleeve.

I started by considering the lap band, then learned of the high failure rates and increasing number of revisions, so moved on to the sleeve. Here too, my research indicated a lesser degree of weight loss and long term success. I was initially concerned about the plumbing rearrangement, but as I learned more I came to feel that it was a relatively inconsequential change compared to what I could gain--or lose, actually--through bypass.I liked the idea that the remainder of my stomach could possibly be reattached in case of cancer if I had the bypass, but with the sleeve, once the excess stomach is gone, it's gone.  I was disconcerted by all the posts on various boards of revisions to bands and sleeves and decided I only want to do this once and wanted to do it right. I am older, so no time for do-overs.

I had absolutely no problems with my surgery and my recovery has gone smoothly. I don't mind taking the vitamins because I would be taking some vitamins with my other pills anyway. I'm very happy I took this route!

jimbovsg
on 9/25/13 1:45 pm

show this to your doc!

http://www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx?id=2106

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

pineview01
on 9/25/13 3:21 pm - Davison, MI

Actually the sleeve has been around longer for cancer and ulcers.  It was also the first stage to the DS.  For some reason they don't include the weight loss from this as usable WL data.  Many insurances are just now coming around to it as a stand alone.

When I went to get my band, the only other surgery the did was RNY, the surgeon blew it off as a fly by night surgery.  He did state one of the other surgeons there was looking into being trained in it though.  He would have done RNY only if he had his way.  Four years later they are doing the sleeve and he even did the infomercial for it even though he still pushed the RNY in his orientation meeting.  Now the surgeon that was suppose to do my sleeve(left the group) and the surgeon that did my sleeve let me know that my choice of sleeve is the best and he steers people from band to sleeve even though they make lots more money off the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 362 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views