Stall... or Habits! Need advice to get back on track... :-) Thx!

synthangel
on 9/28/13 3:21 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

Hello All,

I thought it was a stall... but now I am thinking that I have been stuck way too long and I am starting to really analyze my habits. What can I do to speed up loss at 11 months or so? I have lost 2 lbs in the last 90 days.

I usually eat:

Coffee w/ creamer 70 cals

Protein drink (Premier 30g/160 cal) / or Jerky - Breakfast

0 cal Rockstar - snack?

Lunch: 1 sushi roll, usually spicy tuna, w rice. Sometimes fancier cali roll w/ sauce. (Smith's grocery sushi) Or Jerky.

Dinner: a small amount of whatever the family is eating, usually protein heavy because I'm cooking.

-----

Ok so this is what I suspect might be the problem:

Sporadic exercise.. (2-3 times/wk elliptical for 20 mins) / Walks 20-30 mins very occasional

Not enough water... I try... I think I get 30-50 oz day

Alcohol - I drink wine usually twice a week with the hubby

-----

I am trying to up my exercise more since that is obvious to me. I am really having a hard time w. the water so any advice for that I will gladly accept. 

Is wine twice a week too much, should I cut it out all together?

Thanks for any feedback. 

PrettyEyes_41
on 9/28/13 3:44 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

I too had a terrible stall for a few months. Then I took a deeper look at exactly what I was doing, or more importantly, what I wasn't doing. First you have to find a way to up your water to a minimum of 64 oz a day. I know that sounds like a lot but it's only 4 16oz bottles of water. Adding a flavoring to it will really help, I can't drink water plain but can always get my minimum or more with flavoring. You can also count your coffee as liquid but I try not to. Do you log your foods in something like MyFitnessPal? If not then start that immediately. It will tell you where you're off. I use sugar free creamer and splenda in my coffee and add unflavored Unjury protein. I wouldn't be using regular creamer if you're still trying to lose. Every little calorie counts.  While I was in  the losing phase I set my calories at around 800 with 70-80 grams protein and under 40 carbs. Not that this is an exact science but it's what worked for me. You have to find what works for you and once you do then stick to it.  Definitely try to do some type of exercise daily. During the losing phase I only gave myself 1 day off every 2 weeks from exercising. Now, if I don't walk or work on my elliptical every day then I feel real sluggish and can easily slip out of the habit. You've taken the first step by asking for help and recognizing your habits. The second step is to find what works for you and the third is committing to doing whatever it takes. YOU CAN DO IT! WE'RE HERE FOR YOU!

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

PsychoWriter
on 9/28/13 3:55 am - St Petersburg, FL
I had a few stalls that were short lived around the year mark. To be honest the only way i found to break through them or boost weight loss period was to lower my carb intake and increase my fat intake. While I'm living a low carb life in the first place while in my first year i hardly strayed from 20 or 30 grams and just focused on the protein and veggies of room. But then i got into the habit of citing some fat out. Like when making scrambled eggs i used Pam instead of butter and things like that. Well when i watched the carbs more closely and incorporated more fast in my diet using more butter and oil and mayo, etc with my meals, my weight loss skyrockets. Just a suggestion. Plus are you actually tracking what your eating? Cuz i know we get that mentality in out mind of "i know what I'm eating" and sometimes its do not true. I'm almost 2 years out, down 180 lbs, want to lose 20 more but the biggest help for me us the my fitness pal app and i force myself to track everything and out hold me accountable. Hope this helps and hang in there. You'll be dropping lbs in no time. Sometimes or bodies just take a break.
Best wishes
Jonathan.
Nancybefree
on 9/28/13 4:12 am
VSG on 11/21/12

What do your MFP calorie, protein, carb and fat numbers look like for a typical day, including the wine?  Are you logging everything you eat or drink?

Just off the top of my head, from reading your post I would say that you are drinking some calories via the wine and the creamer, and you might be taking in more carbs than protein.  The fluid is definitely an issue. 

How does your everyday eating stack up against the plan your surgeon or nutritionist gave you?

I would advise against drinking alcohol during your active WL phase, especially since you're not liking the results you're reporting above. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/13 4:47 am

I would take out the creamer, the rice in sushi, and the sauce.  I would switch to sashimi instead.  Than for dinner, I would measure out and eat about three ounces of lean protein and a 1/4 cup of veggies.  I would do this and watch the weight fall off.  Good luck to you.

rhearob
on 9/28/13 4:59 am - TN

I would think this is a combination of many things - Mainly food choices, water, and exercise.

In General - Eliminate as many carbs and sugars as you can.  This is quick energy that your body burns instead of fat.  This includes alcohol.  I did not drin****il in maintenance.

Water - This is the fuel for burning fat.  You have to get a minimum of 64 ounces a day, you should be getting 1/2 your weight in pounds in ounces of water.

Exercise - alterante cardio with strength training.  You need to get more lean muscle to burn fat more quickly.  The cardio builds your ability to deliver energy to those new muscles.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

PsychoWriter
on 9/28/13 5:49 am - St Petersburg, FL
Oh totally forgot to mention. I'm a coffee nut too and have two huge cupsevery morning. I use 2tbsp half n half in each mug which is only 80 cal and to get flavors i buy the sugar free Davinci syrups at Sams club where i work. They have zero calories and taste amazing. I bake with them too, making Carmel cheesecake and stuff love em.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 191 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 278 views