At 168 pounds lost I know what to do but...

SurgeryLori
on 10/2/13 12:57 am - Canada

I'm struggling. Not logging. Eating ok but not great. Calories under 800 per day, Carbs under 60. Water is good. Exersise is great (swimming 2 hours per day 5 days a week). Not sure what is up with me right now. Even down 168lbs I am not feeling very successful. I am wondering if my body is telling me I am done losing weight for now. Any suggestions welcome!

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/13 1:11 am

There is a simple fix to this; start logging and journaling your calories, protein and carbs.  If you are really under 800, just push through and know that eventually you will lose again.  I would bet you that you will find that you are closer to 1000-1200 if you log every single calorie that goes in your mouth.   

SurgeryLori
on 10/2/13 3:45 am - Canada

Thanks Elina. By not logging I mean its been 3 days, which seems like a lifetime to me as I have been so diligent about it. I still rarely hit 800 although I do feel that my carbs are up the last few days, not because of cravings but "looser" choices. One of my biggest fears is getting closer to goal. When I hit goal what do I do then? Psychologically I am afraid to feel like I have been successful I think. If that makes any sense at all. I have hopped back on the wagon and am logging everything today which is giving me a better sense of control but still I think I am scared.

sleevegirl
on 10/2/13 1:15 am - Austin, TX

You don't say how far out you are, but it doesn't matter. You've lost 168 pounds! Go look at some before photos and take some right now. Today. to compare them to.

We all hit stalls, plateaus or times when we just are "done". Those that lose it quickly or who don't have as much to lose, in my opinion, don't get it nearly as well - for those of us that started at SMO, it's a mind screw. Give yourself a break. Take a day or two off from exercise. Change up your diet. HUGS

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

SurgeryLori
on 10/2/13 3:47 am - Canada

You made me laugh Candy! It certainly is a mind screw. Did you every find that you became afraid of your success? That is where I think that I am and I am not sure what to do about it.

sleevegirl
on 10/2/13 11:02 pm - Austin, TX

I was terrified of success. Hell, I still am - if I can convince myself some days that I AM a success.

Welcome to the mental part of this journey. I think it's harder than the actual losing of the weight because... well, it sucks. It's hard and I don't want to do it. So there. ;)

Seriously... I got a therapist. I'm glad I did because wrapping your head around it is really tough. ((HUGS))

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

SurgeryLori
on 10/3/13 9:37 am - Canada

Thank you for your honesty. I needed to hear that today!

Tracy D.
on 10/2/13 7:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had to hijack this post to say, "YEAH, Candy's back!!!"   Been reading your blogs but this is the first response I've seen you post in awhile.   Hope you're doing well 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

sleevegirl
on 10/2/13 11:03 pm - Austin, TX

I dunno about "back" but I'm going to try to drop in more often than just randomly. My back surgery really threw my life off kilter. ((HUGS)) I miss you guys for sure.

jubjub
on 10/2/13 1:15 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Mix up your exercise.  Doing the same thing over and over allows your body to get more efficient at it.  Shake up the routine Switch to shorter, more intense workouts. - do some resistance exercise and lay off the swimming for a week.  Get on the elliptical instead of in the pool... etc.  Most good trainers will cycle you through different types of exercises and different patterns (long and slow vs. short and intense) to keep things progressing.  But recovery time is important as well.  

I've done mostly cycling for the past 8 months, but it's been quite varied - long/slow (working up to 9 hour rides), short and intense (sometimes as little as 10 minutes of intense springing after a 15 minute warmup), and everything in between.  I'm sure there are guides on the internet for such training regimens appropriate to swimming.

-Tom

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views